LegacyGT.com

Alternator noise in 1 speaker?

LittleBlueGT

I cant say for sure why it would be just one speaker, but when I started to get alternator noise in my Dodge Caravan, the alternator was about to die. Once I replaced the alternator, life was good. If you have recently taken out the stereo or something, you might want to check your ground wires again. Normally getting alternator noise through the speakers is a sign of a bad ground connection.

I am no expert at this, but these are just a few things that I had to deal with when I installed my stereo in my van...

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

swap the leads at the amp - does the noise follow or stay with the speaker? Honestly? Sounds like an amp issue to me.

Next time I work on the car that is what I am doing, I also have a feeling it is an amp issue.

also, swap the leads to the CleanSweep as a further check. Could be there as well. Doublecheck all your speaker grounds too....make sure they are clean and not touching anything.

I am going to be checking my speaker ground soon. I don't think it is coming from the CS because I can disconnect my RCA's and the noise is still there.

It is extremely annoying! I use to compete in car audio about 11 years ago, never ever had a problem in a car I had done the install in, now this!!!!

Oh hell, if this is your first real problem I'd say you're looong overdue...welcome to the club.

I'm wondering if one of your RCA's got nicked & is grounding somewhere 'tween source & amp.

I can disconnect the RCAs and still get the noise. It is either the speaker, the speaker wire or the amp.

I've never heard of alt noise being introduced at speaker levels (which doesn't mean it can't happen), so I suspect it's the amp, but only one channel? Tried switching the speaker leads to see if the noise moves? Is it possible that you're only hearing it from one side b/c of speaker proximity?

Archived