LegacyGT.com

How many miles is too many?

Hi all,

I have a friend a with an '05 outback 4eat with 245k he drives about a hundred miles a day all highway. I may pick up it off him since he can't pass emission this november with it and will be getting a new outback anyways. He says it needs a new exhaust, all new cats and new struts along with an engine tune up, to pass emissions. I'm curious if 245k is too high (likely be 250-260k by the time I could pick it up)? I ideally want to use it to get through winter, and at least another year or two more out of it. He's said he hasn't had a single problem with it, just done regular maintenance.

Are there many 4th gen outbacks/legacy n/a with 250+ miles on original motors/tranny? Also curious if there is anything else I should look into replacing, besides what he noted? I really just want this to be a daily/beater, but at same time if 250k+ isn't horrid maybe lift it a smig, throw on a light bar and some skid plates to have fun in the vermont backwoods.

Well depends how much you're getting it for . Struts and cats can add up and something with that many miles may give you problems down the road. I have yet to come across a bad Subaru tranny so id worry more about the motor .

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Well depends how much you're getting it for . Struts and cats can add up and something with that many miles may give you problems down the road. I have yet to come across a bad Subaru tranny so id worry more about the motor .

$1-2k, he's still on fence about selling it... since if he can somehow pass emission (cheating) me might keep it.

$1-2k, he's still on fence about selling it... since if he can somehow pass emission (cheating) me might keep it.

I guess thats a pretty good price. You could probably get a used set of struts and springs and depending on the problem with the cats you may or may not be able to "fix" that.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Archived