LegacyGT.com

2005 Cylinder head options

I am looking for replacement cylinder heads for my 05 2.5i after it overheated and cracked them. My shop is having some difficulty finding replacements so I have started looking as well. I know the 05 motor is slightly different from other years and am trying to figure out what years (if any) will swap with mine. Most ebay retailers lump the 05 with the 99-04 my, which I don't think is right. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reason is in 06 they started with avls.

99-04 will work.

06+ will also, but you have to get advice on how to block the oil ports that are used in the later heads.

You sure the block is OK? Hot enough to crack heads says to me that bearings are overstressed and need to be replaced.

Better off finding a complete engine.

O.

Reason is in 06 they started with avls.

99-04 will work.

06+ will also, but you have to get advice on how to block the oil ports that are used in the later heads.

You sure the block is OK? Hot enough to crack heads says to me that bearings are overstressed and need to be replaced.

Better off finding a complete engine.

O.

I know the 99-04 doesn't have the egr tube port. Can I just block the other half?

I honestly hadn't considered the block is bad. I've never heard of immediately going to a rebuild after an overheat. If that's the case, I need to seriously consider keeping the car...either that or a ej255 swap. It would be stupid imo to buy a jy engine which would still need new hg at a minimum. Rebuilding my block will easily reach 3500 by the time it's done.

Overheating by itself tho not good is generally not fatal, unless it's constantly done.

My concern is hot enough to crack the heads. Ask how hot the oil got in the crankcase?

It obviously wasn't able to do it's job properly. The bearings are stressed, tho not yet to the point of failure. It's only a matter of time.

You can buy an oem shortblock for around 2k.

Yes you can block the egr port.

Look in Craigslist for part outs and totals.

O.

Archived