LegacyGT.com

Head Gasket Help plz

Hello everyone!

So the time has come to finally start doing some work to my massive money pit. Long story short, had the timing belt done, and the tensioner slipped (I believe) and the valves decided they wanted to say hello to the pistons. I should also note that I am not a mechanic, and I have already talked to the shop responsible for the repairs, along with taking it to the Attorney General for review but to no avail. However, that was months ago, and just recently found out that said shop has changed their name. I'm sure they screwed over more people than just me.

Anyway, the car has been sitting since early April, and I have finally got SOME funds together to start the process of removing the engine. Obviously the heads need to come off, in which case (correct me if I'm wrong) the head gaskets should be replaced. I figured while I'm in there replacing the head gaskets, I might as well look into something that may be better than stock. I have come across some Tomei (I believe was the brand), they look to be a sandwich style (3 layers) of gasket. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these, or any other recommendations?

Feel free to ask questions if I was not clear on anything. Any and all helpful responses welcomed. T.I.A.!

Do you have all the tools needed to remove the engine from the car and then take it apart ?

Have you done this before ?

Stock head gaskets will be fine.

After the heads are rebuilt you'll want to use ARP head studs to hold them on.

I had the machine shop assemble the heads on the new ej257. See my click here link for the whole story with pictures.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have the car at a shop, so it's being taken care of by mechanics. LoL. As I've said I'm not a mechanic by any standard, and I do not feel comfortable doing a job like this by myself.

As for the ARP head studs, I was thinking about going that route as well.

Thanks for the help and I will check out your thread as well.

When you get the car back, the next thing you want to do is get it Tuned. The factory MAP is known to cause burnt valves or broken ring lands or spun bearings.

I use www.tuningalliance.com if your good with a lap top you can get cable to plug into the OBD2 port, data log, send Mike a log, he'll correct it and send it back.

Its the best thing you can do for these cars.

Where do you live ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thought about getting a tune. I've gone that route with my other car (03 SVT Focus, tuned with an SCT X-Cal2) with some pretty good results. I know it would probably be money well spent on getting a tuner for this car to clean up the base maps, but I need to take things one step at a time with where it's sitting at currently. Also dealing with trying to work on the Focus at the same time, so money is a bit tied up between the two cars. But if money allows it by the time I get the car back, I'll look into purchasing a tuner.

As far as where I'm located, I am from York, PA (thought I had that on my info, apparently not, sorry about that)

Cool. I'm a bit busy myself. Currently my car is sitting at my uncle's garage (Dover area). He's the one that's going to be doing the work for me. But, once the motor is out and I can see everything, that's when I'll finally be able to tell what all really needs to be changed.

My MAIN point of this thread was because I stopped in at Stan's Subaru (off of 24 in East York) and talked with Stan himself, and he is the one who informed me of a sandwich style head gasket. Said when they get cars in to sell, that's one of the first thing they get, weather or not they need them. That got my interest in using the same style gasket when the motor gets put back together. But for now, I think I'll just look into the ARP Head Studs, mentioned above.

No telling when the car will actually go into the shop, I just recently gave him the "ok" to tear it apart, and I know he already has a pretty full schedule as it is. So, whenever I find anything out, I'll come back and update this thread.

Thanks again guys!

I had a Xcal II on my Marauder, Access Port is nothing like that unfortunately. You just pick a tune and upload it, there is no tweaking it a bit more from the handheld.

The beauty of having a DD is you can take your time and get it right vs trying to slam it all in a weekend before you have to drive it back to work Monday morning. Do you still have the banjo bolts in and factory cat in the up pipe before the turbo?

I still stand by my two post above. OEM head gaskets, ARP studs, tune.

Have the heads rebuilt, how much for you uncle to rebuild the short block ?

Do it right the first time, enjoy the car for many years.

Merc6 - banjo bolts and everything. Yes. The car is 99.99% stock. Only thing I have done to it is a new shift knob.

Max - no idea on prices yet, as I'm still waiting for him to get time to get it in the shop. I looked into the ARP studs, and found them for almost $1,000. Unfortunately I'm already broke, and I'm sure the rest of this repair won't be cheap either. Not to mention I already have $9,600 wrapped up into it already for previous repairs.

Merc6 - banjo bolts and everything. Yes. The car is 99.99% stock. Only thing I have done to it is a new shift knob.

Max - no idea on prices yet, as I'm still waiting for him to get time to get it in the shop. I looked into the ARP studs, and found them for almost $1,000. Unfortunately I'm already broke, and I'm sure the rest of this repair won't be cheap either. Not to mention I already have $9,600 wrapped up into it already for previous repairs.

ARP head studs for almost $1000? From where? That's insane... they should only be a few hundred if I remember correctly when I built my Sti engine

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

ARP head studs for almost $1000? From where? That's insane... they should only be a few hundred if I remember correctly when I built my Sti engine

I thought the same thing. Checked out some of the different vendors on this site to get an idea of where to order them and for how much. This was my result:

http://store.brentuning.com/arp/arp-head-stud/bolt-kits/2604704/i-527249.aspx

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/arp-260-4704?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAjwnf2wBRCf3sOp6oTtnjYSJAANOfhe035dkyJKK7AMWzv8brFX22koW7NQ_fBWA9RALCkC_RoCiR_w_wcB

Same part number for almost half the price... keep searching around I'm sure you can find them even cheaper

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I thought the price was a bit steep myself. And this was the first place that I landed on that had ARP studs. Hopefully I can find them a bit cheaper somewhere else, because even at that price, I can get the studs AND an Access Port. :) But as stated above, it's just gonna be one of those deals where I get things as I need them. All I know for sure is the heads are coming off, so the gaskets are getting replaced. Might as well throw in some ARP studs while I'm in there. Not trying to make a full on build with this, because for the amount of money I have already put into this thing, it should be built. Or even better yet, paid off.

smh. Honestly, I would LOVE it if Marty and Moog (from Mighty Car Mods) would do some kind of contest where they will go work on someone's car, and help them modify it. I'm not talking Gramp's status or anything, but it would just be awesome. [/wishful thinking]

even that Summit price is high, PM Underdog buy them from him.

I got mine from Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com I think they were like 200 something.

Archived