LegacyGT.com

Autocrosser switching to Legacy needs tips

ChrisK

I know what you mean about not being able to hear the engine. I had the same problem with my WRX's stock exhaust. I didn't want to put up with the increased noise of an aftermarket cat-back system on a daily basis but I needed to hear my car when I autocrossed. I decided to put in an electrical exhaust cutout between the cat and the muffler. It was cheaper than a catback system. It offered approx. same power benefits. I kept the stock look . It's cool :cool: to be able to open or close it from inside the car. There are times during the week when I like to open it up and make some noise. Most importantly, I can now hear the car when autocrossing. I think it's a great option to consider. I bought mine from dmh performance and had it installed at a local muffler shop.

Alright, you convinced me. I'll beat the snot out of the RE92's for a while. It's a hard pill to swallow losing all that grip coming from 215/40-16 RT-615's on my Miata, but my initial performance was poor enough that I probably won't get much out of more grip just yet.

Maybe I'll burn up the tires at Evolution's school next spring, if they offer it. I can't imagine what a full day of training would do to a set of Azenis. :D

Yea, it would suck to just burn up a set of 225/45/17 RT-615s (about $600) in one day.. better of just burning the RE92s and then replace them with the RT-615s so that you can be faster AND make the tires last longer throughout the year.

Keefe

I know what you mean about not being able to hear the engine. I had the same problem with my WRX's stock exhaust. I didn't want to put up with the increased noise of an aftermarket cat-back system on a daily basis but I needed to hear my car when I autocrossed. I decided to put in an electrical exhaust cutout between the cat and the muffler. It was cheaper than a catback system. It offered approx. same power benefits. I kept the stock look . It's cool :cool: to be able to open or close it from inside the car. There are times during the week when I like to open it up and make some noise. Most importantly, I can now hear the car when autocrossing. I think it's a great option to consider. I bought mine from dmh performance and had it installed at a local muffler shop.

This coming weekend, I am buying a shift light with a gear indicator gauge which is all self-learning (rally car drivers use it) and it's a good alternative than cutting up the exhuast. The display is very clean and bold.

I'll post pics up later of what it looks like.. it's unfortunate the company is no longer in business, but a rally-racer friend of mine bought 5 to 6 sets of this unit to sell at a later time since it's such a great product.

Keefe

Are there any similar products out there, Keefe? I thought about installing a HUD almost solely for the shift light, but it's a bit pricey for that one feature, and it's not a nice looking install (worried about theft), so I decided against it.

Even if I merely had an LED somewhere on the dash that lit up when the car was >6000RPM I'd be happy.

Are there any similar products out there, Keefe? I thought about installing a HUD almost solely for the shift light, but it's a bit pricey for that one feature, and it's not a nice looking install (worried about theft), so I decided against it.

Even if I merely had an LED somewhere on the dash that lit up when the car was >6000RPM I'd be happy.

I still have my old HKS Turbo Timer Type 1 (not the Type 0 which has less functions) that has the 2-stage shift light indicator.. 1st stage is a blinking screen of the rpms and chirping sound.. the 2nd stage is a constant red screen with a constant long beeping sound. I think you can still find this particular turbo timer for $100 to $130 (used is even cheaper) and another $15 for the Subaru ignition harness.

http://www.hksusa.com

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=845

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=837

Keefe

Wow, I never knew a product like that existed! Very cool idea. Hopefully removing the intake silencer will be enough for me.

Domestic guys running mufflers and track pipes use these manual and electric cutouts. The common one is Quick Time Performance (QTP) and DMH electric cutout.

Keefe

that's as stealthy as you can get if you bolt that cutout at the downpipe.. many people say they have leaks and malfunctioning butterfly openings.. I have yet to see one fail personally.

If you are talking about the turbo timer, I am sure you have have it mounted in the cubby with proper ventilation. It doesnt get any stealthier than that.

I think once you learn the "sense" of speed in the car (even without sound) you won't need a shift light or an exhuast (unless you are going to make power). My body is getting use to the stock power band and how the car just falls flat after 5500 rpms.. once I feel that slight-less-of-a-pull I shift into the next gear.

Keefe

Yeah, I was talking about the turbo timer. I was actually thinking of something SUPER simple, like a single LED that I would bore out a hole for somewhere on the dash. Not that more functionality is BAD, of course! :)

I've already noticed the deadness near peak RPM. I didn't notice it during break-in, obviously. I was expecting a little more from the top end from this car, given how awesome it feels from 3000-5000RPM (which is how I test drove it).

That said, it's certainly "fast enough" for me. The power doesn't build steadily until peak RPM like my Miata, but it sure beats the snot out of the Miata at 3000RPM, which is where I spend most of my time.

Archived