LegacyGT.com

Engine Surging No Code, HELP?

2007 Outback XT 5EAT road tuned for DP/CBE/LW CP/BPV only parts I've changed performance wise added a GS TMIC & GS AOS

A little back history on the car, I've been stage 2 for about 2 years now. I initially ran the OTS cobb tune but then started having wastegate selinoid issues along with the transmission TC no locking/unlocking into place. I addition I had a bunch of misfire codes for cylinder 1/3 because my intake/exhaust manifold gaskets were leaking. The idle would drop at stop lights and cause the car to stall at time, replaced them and ran good again. I had it road tuned by Mike Botti, car began to run fantastic. I threw on a Grimmspeed tmic and AOS on, and was waiting for some free time to get it road tuned again, but... Then at end of this summer, my car over heated and I had to have the radiator/HG/WP/TB replaced. Then I got a evap code, replaced the gas cap and it kept coming. Replaced 2 coilpacks and for w/e reason it seemed to solve the evap code.

Last wednesday the car ran fine, thursday morning it did not... I went to start my car and noticed the engined sounded off, I also noticed the rpm needle was bouncing up/down a bit. I decide to drive it to my mechanic, in the process the car ran like total crap as if one of the cylinder was dropping. The rpm's would bounce up and down, it seemed to smoothen out ever so slightly when under boost. However there were no codes for either I or my mechanic to go by.

So Mechanic replaced the MAF twice with no change, we smoke tested it and found there to be vacuum leak. Replaced the part (had to do with EVAP not sure it's exact name). There was still a very small vacuum leak it seemed on either side of the intake manifold, but he stated it can't be what's causing the issue. He took the hose off the BPV that recirculates it into the system and test drove it, noting the car ran slightly better but still surging a ton.

Mechanic has told me I need to talk to my tuner and have him reset the car to factory settings, because he can't think of anything else that would cause my car to run like so. He says the car is running very lean, and from what he can read the A/F perimeters are totally off the chart and it has to do with the tune masking these perimeters from throwing a code. I am in the process of returning the car back to stock, so I can go to my tuner an he can reset me back to factory settings, with stock parts. As currently I cannot unmarry my cobb AP from the car as his map is the only one that exists on the AP.

I pretty much made to post to hear the opinion of anyone else that has gone through similar symptoms. In addition I'd be curious if anyone can explain to me how the car can run fine for over a year an half, on the tune and then one day just run like total crap.

TLDR: Watch the videos below and let me know what you think is wrong with the car. Mechanic believes it because of the tune (been on 1.5 years with no issue), and feels only solution is to return the stock ecu along with stock parts and go from there.

In the videos of me driving the throttle is in only about 1/4 the way in, but it feels as though someone is mashing it in all the way and just releasing it and repeating the motion.

FIXED VIDEO LINK (I think?)

Engine Sound

http://vid189.photobucket.com/albums/z166/dirtjumper202/Joys%20of%20owning%20a%20subaru/video-1444263164.mp4.mp4

Idle

http://vid189.photobucket.com/albums/z166/dirtjumper202/Joys%20of%20owning%20a%20subaru/video-1444263185.mp4.mp4

http://vid189.photobucket.com/albums/z166/dirtjumper202/Joys%20of%20owning%20a%20subaru/video-1444263118.mp4.mp4

Driving

http://vid189.photobucket.com/albums/z166/dirtjumper202/Joys%20of%20owning%20a%20subaru/video-1444263217.mp4.mp4

http://vid189.photobucket.com/albums/z166/dirtjumper202/Joys%20of%20owning%20a%20subaru/video-1444263142.mp4.mp4

I dont think its the tune. Had an sti tuned by mike and its still perfect. If you unmarry the cobb, the cobb will automatically reinstall the factory map.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

I dont think its the tune. Had an sti tuned by mike and its still perfect. If you unmarry the cobb, the cobb will automatically reinstall the factory map.

Me either, as the car ran fantastic as I had mikey do his magic, and I don't understand how a tune would cause such a drastic issue overnight if it was running fine for over a year... However my mechanic is at a loss as to what may be causing it. I'm trying to avoid the dealer at all costs, as last time I went to my subaru dealer, they wanted $4.8k to replace just the headgasket...

I guess I don't know what I'm doing, by trying to unmarry it... But when I go into tuning settings the only map that exists is mikey's. Prior to him tuning it I had a choice of like 5 if I recall correctly, he also told me if I ever wanted to change the maps I would need to see him about it.

Bad front O2

Hmm, interesting but don't those usually throw codes consistently? Since months ago like mid summer I got a too rich code related to o2 sensor. I was in the middle of no where so I deleted it twice on my way back home. As I figured it would come back a third time so I could go to my mechanic, but it never did… instead I got that evap code.

Is this what I would want?

http://www.carid.com/bosch/premium-oxygen-sensor-alternative-fit-1-mpn-15025.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwhdOwBRDFsYTfhvzX1hYSJAAfCUcLbaaNt8SUJfw499WsofHeXaU04WiKvjhOFMRCQTFaaRoCgAfw_wcB#product-details-tab

Hmm, interesting but don't those usually throw codes consistently? Since months ago like mid summer I got a too rich code related to o2 sensor. I was in the middle of no where so I deleted it twice on my way back home. As I figured it would come back a third time so I could go to my mechanic, but it never did… instead I got that evap code.

Is this what I would want?

http://www.carid.com/bosch/premium-oxygen-sensor-alternative-fit-1-mpn-15025.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwhdOwBRDFsYTfhvzX1hYSJAAfCUcLbaaNt8SUJfw499WsofHeXaU04WiKvjhOFMRCQTFaaRoCgAfw_wcB#product-details-tab

Front O2 can go bad and cause all kinds of STFT problems that make the surge up and down at idle and even while driving. They don't necessarily throw a code and you can easily be fooled into searching for a lot of other things. Find a known good one from a buddy's car if possible and put it in and see if it fixes the problem. About 95% of the time, it will fix it.

You will want to go with the Subaru OE sensor (always use the OE sensors as they seem to be the best suited and last the longest) because it will be the best. Check at Fred Beans, Infamous, Underdog, and some of the other vendors on here. You'll be best served by the OE sensor.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

To unmarry the car , you scroll though the main screen ( where it says monitor, tune, troubleshoot until where it says remove from car or whatever it it. You dont need the map listed in the tuning section. But try the O2 suggestion.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

To unmarry the car , you scroll though the main screen ( where it says monitor, tune, troubleshoot until where it says remove from car or whatever it it. You dont need the map listed in the tuning section. But try the O2 suggestion.

Hmmm I'll scroll through the menu again and maybe take a video if I can't figure it out. If I unmarry it will the custom tune that is on the cobb AP delete it's self. As in I unmarry it, (and if the problem still persists proving to mech it's no the tune) and I remarry it to the car… will I have the custom tune I had installed on there still or will it be back to factory settings with the Cobb OTS tunes.

Mechanic stated o2 sensor didn't solve the issue, so I called the shop where Botti works and they said they could squeeze me in for today to get the car back to stock ecu. As the cobb AP literally fails to uninstall every time I try.

So I've got a 40 mile drive to the shop, which I'm not too thrilled about honestly a bit scared to drive the car as is… but according to the mechanic if the stock ecu doesn't fix it, he's out of ideas and I'll need to send the car to subaru. Who will intern tell me I need the stock ecu for them to do any work (it's happened in the past), so the drive to the tuner is inevitable. wish me luck

Send your ECU and include your AP to Cobb and have it unbricked. A friend of mine (CareerCadaver) had a bunch of issues that we could not figure out and he finally send in the ECU and once they flashed it and he reinstalled it, he loaded his tune and he's never had a problem since.

I think it was only about $75 to have it done. If the front O2 did not fix it, then that would be my own next course of action.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Archived