LegacyGT.com

New snow tires for the season

quick4dr

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buying winter tires for the first time in chilly/snowy Ottawa. Any help or comments would be great. I've narrowed down the most popular tires and now it's just a toss up between the following: Brands/Models.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s

Gislaved Nordfrosts

General Altimax Arctics (which are apparently the same as the Gislaveds?)

Michelin XIce XI3

Bridgestone Blizzak WS80

I'm likely leaning towards the Hakkas. Any recommendations? Places to buy (or not buy?)

Thanks

What do you want from your winter tires:

wet, snow, ice, dry, noise

Put in order of importance.

Supposedly WS80 is similar in performance to R2 and Xi3 but much noisier.

Krzys

i would go x ice. my girls corolla could out drive my Subaru in snow. hers had xice and i had blizzacs. things are crazy i had more slip with awd then her car ever had with only fwd. then i got them after the rolla got totaled in the summer. all i can say is the things are great

i would go x ice. my girls corolla could out drive my Subaru in snow. hers had xice and i had blizzacs. things are crazy i had more slip with awd then her car ever had with only fwd. then i got them after the rolla got totaled in the summer. all i can say is the things are great

Howd you like the X ice on deeper snow?

i like them a lot. i drive to mountains almost 3 times a week, i have a bit of a skiing problem. never got stuck in either car and i used to have a fairly sloped driveway that nobody would shovel. sometimes my old s 10 would slide down the thing after i parked. would wake up in the morning with it in the street. even watched it once, just parked it in first gear, parking break, locked the door, slammed it and it just slid on down the drive way had bald Cooper Weathermasters though.

but yes deep snow they are good as well i would say a little short on life though i just hit my wear bars on them last season. i only really got two seasons out of them. i do do lots of driving though. 50,000 to 60,000 miles and enjoy my powdered doughnuts on occasion too. which is another thing you have a lot of control when you start to spin them as well. i would say best studless snowtire ive ever owned.

ive had cooper weather masters, blizzaks,and x ice. i had to say studsless because studs are a whole different game. i like studless for the fact you can be a dummy and spin them and go sideways.

have an old abondoned airstrip in my town that is perfect for late night no do goodery. ended up in the grass in 8 in of snow a couple times completely stopped thought i was stuck for sure but got out somehow. bet it had to do with the tires.

You guys should consider the Toyo Observe Garit KX as well. I have zero experience with them but they came highly recommended by a few people I know who are knowledgeable about tires. The Microbit technology and siping looks like they will perform well. I read a few reviews that they are not as good as the Hakka's in the traction department but are top of the class for handling as they aren't as soft and sloppy feeling.

Costco has $70 off a set of 4 Bridgestone tires until 11/29. Think I might get the Blizzak WS80, $586 for a set of 205/50 17.

I run WS80's on my XC90. They are fantastic winter tires. We get plenty of harsh winter conditions up here in Alberta Canada, the WS80's have never let me down.

I ran General Altimax Arctic last winter. Capable in snow and slush. Handle like marshmallows. Tracking is poor. They tended to wander a lot. I regretted not spending more to get a better tire. It took me less than 24 hours to sell them on Craigslist last week. My new tires arrived 2 days later. Hakka 8s.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr85/smstavros/20151023_1807331_zpsdzzkhwxo.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr85/smstavros/20151023_1807521_zpsbtrk7zek.jpg

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Tire rack has an awesome deal on the Dunlop 4d's so I got some for my legacy. It will be 320 ish after rebates. On my wifes forester I got her some Michelin Xi3's because they did not have the 4d's in the size I needed for her XT winter wheels. Costco had a pretty good deal on the Michelin's.

Fun fact: General Altimax Artics are just re-branded Gislaved Nordforst 3's that have been around for quite a long time. I think they have been out since at least 2005. The Gislaved brand was pretty popular in other parts of the world (e.g. Canada), I think.

Ever driven a car with studded tires? It's pretty noisy. I'll never do it again. They only add value on ice, which is a pretty rare % of the time.

curse you studded tires, how dare you give me better traction in icy conditions, now i cant hear my Katie Perry cd.

curse you studded tires, how dare you give me better traction in icy conditions, now i cant hear my Katie Perry cd.

I already have enough clackety-clackety sounds from piston slap and valvetrain noise in my high mileage EJ251! :spin:

Archived