LegacyGT.com

Odd rattle in shifter area

Akasa

My car (2005 5MT GT) seems to have developed this odd rattle in the shifter area, which I can't for the life of me diagnose. I hear the rattle very loudly when taking a sharp corner in 3rd gear, generally around 4000-5000 RPM, or at around 5000 RPM in 3rd gear.

Oddly enough, I also hear this same rattle sound when I bring the car up to about 4000-5000 RPM with the car in neutral, which is why i'm hesitant to diagnose it as a bad differential.

I'm honestly at a loss here. I can upload a video if that will be helpful.

Thanks guys!

a video will always help but silly question. Have you taken the console boot off and made sure it it's a coin or something down in there rattling by chance?!?!

I'll post a video up when I can have my friend record it.

I've taken the entire center console apart, made sure the snap rings were tight on the linkage assembly, made sure that the shift fork was tight to the short throw shifter, i've checked all of that. I'll see if maybe it's the heat shield rattling that encompasses the drive shaft and linkage. :confused:

Try this:

Tighten your shift knob.

I had an annoying rattle a year ago that I actually took my car back to my tuner. I took one of the techs out for a drive and we both scratched our heads. Rolled the windows up and the sound became more audible. He looked down at my shifter and told me to stop the car. With a blank stare. He twisted my shift knob and we took the car back on the road.

He always give me Shit since then.

• 2 months later...

Alright guys, so I apologize for the late response. I have gone under the car, checked for rattling heat shields, checked to see if the linkage is rubbing anywhere, i've torn the center console out, checked all of the bolts, tightened the connection where the fork meets the shifter. I literally cannot figure this out. I even removed the bracket that held the downpipe to the transmission, since it had broken when I did my up-pipe install.

I've included 2 videos here, first is the car decelerating in 2nd gear, the rattle tends to happen around 3500-4000 RPM REGARDLESS of which gear i'm in, which is what makes me wonder if it's just something making contact with something else; sound tone changes when I move the gear selector in gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95XSqZVimXQ

The next video is a quick shot of the car at a stop light in 4th gear with the clutch depressed; the rattle is still present when revving the engine with the clutch depressed. Again, I have tightened everything I can think of; I really don't know where to begin here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj4LnKEhakI

Archived