LegacyGT.com

Confirm Clutch Fitment

dahoseman

I'm going back to a stock clutch after getting fed up with Clutchmasters clutches (3 failures in 3 years). My stock clutch held fine for several years at Stage 2+ levels. I only replaced it because i was doing other work and decided to drop in a Spec.B flywheel and I thought I would toughen up the clutch for good measure. In any case .........

I have an Outback XT with the 5mt and a 2007 (I believe) Spec.B single mass flywheel. I just wanted to make sure that a stock WRX clutch is the correct fitment for my flywheel/transmisson.

07 Spec B had 6mt. different FW

PM Underdog, have him send you what you need. Ask him for guidance.

I put a Spec 2+ clutch in my wagon in March with a SMFW. I had Rick send me what I needed.

Personally, I would not put a stock OEM clutch in these cars.

My first Spec 2= was still going strong at 85,000 miles. When I put the ej257 in I went with a Spec 2, it lasted only 50,000 miles. The new 2+ is great. The Spec 2 felt like a stock clutch, the 2+ feels like it has more grab, but the same light pedal it even chatters very slightly sometimes like the old one did.

The fix is to put the tranny in neutral and side step the clutch pedal, let it bang to the top. The old Spec 2+ didn't like it if I babied the car to much. The new Spec 2+ is a lot better DD then the old one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Interesting. At this point, I'm not entirely sure which model my flywheel came from. A mechanic friend of mine found it for me to get the new clutch installed quickly and I just remember replacing the stock DMFW with a SMFW in order to install the cluthmaster FX300..... then the FX350 ......... then the FX200.

I'm so frustrated with clutchmasters that I don't want to mess with aftermarket clutches anymore. I drive relatively relaxed and the car is just a DD with a bunch of fun parts added.

The OEM clutch held just fine with nearly the same performance modifications for >50,000 miles and still had plenty of life left when we took it out to put in a "stronger" clutch for good measure. However, the CM clutches have all failed in relatively short order and didn't provide any noticeable benefit. I had to argue with CM multiple times to get them to replace the clutches and the last time, I was told that I must drive with my foot on the clutch and that is the reason they are burning out. However, like I said, the OEM clutch held up without issue for many thousands of miles and had probably clost to 50% left when we pulled it.

If the Spec 2+ has a good lifespan and reasonably light pedal feel, then I might be interested. I'm just a bit gun shy after my CM experience

Have you read about those clutches on here, not many like them for the same reason your saying.

I see no reason I shouldn't get well over 75,000 miles on this Spec 2+

I was emailing Jeremy a tech at Spec before I bought this one.

Underdog is very helpful too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 4 months later...

That noise is common, its because of the material, it doesn't happen all the time. Mine does it a few times a week or less.

I'll be contacting Underdog in April to have him send me a Spec 2+ for my Spec B.

That noise is common, its because of the material, it doesn't happen all the time. Mine does it a few times a week or less.

I'll be contacting Underdog in April to have him send me a Spec 2+ for my Spec B.

How long does it take you to change out your clutch? You do it on jack stands right?

Figure a day in the driveway. I think Shops can do it 5 hours.

I think I'm done doing this type job. I'll pay my trusted mechanic.

Archived