LegacyGT.com

Engine won't start 06 2.5I

My car recently randomly stopped running, Legacy Wagon, 2006, 2.5i, non-turbo, automatic. It ran great one day without a single problem, tried to start it the next day and nothing. If I turned on the ignition, all electronics turned on, but when I turn the key to start it, it wouldn't do anything.

Problem:

And the key is in the “start” spring position, the starter turns for about 2 secs and then stops turning even though the key is still in the start position.

When turning the key to on position prior to going to start position, one

Can hear the fuel pump turn on, a lot of things around the engine are

Initializing. But when the starter stops turning, it sounds like all engine electrical turn off, not just the starter stopping. If I turn off the key, wait a few seconds and turn it back, I get the same result.

What I've figured out:

But looking at the starter relay, there is a control line from the ECM

That closes the relay to allow power to the starter solenoid. This

Control line goes from closing the relay to opening the relay. So

This points to the ECM is monitoring something or something(s)

So after 2 secs, the ECM disconnects the starter from working

And shuts down the rest of the engine electrical.

One time we were able to get the starter to continuous spin

And yet there was no firing of the engine, like no spark.

The other main problem is the starter relay shows pin 28 and pin 26

Are tied together on the schematic. HOWEVER, the wiring on pins

28 and 26 are different colored wiring so where they come is NOT

The same source so Pin 26 source is not providing 12 v might be

A problem.

I'm thinking something is causing the ECM to shut down the starter and the electrical on the engine after 2 secs.

What I've done:

Verified that the starter relay is working, the interlock relay is working,

replaced neutral switch & verified it is working, the starter has been removed and bench tested and spins for 30 seconds with no issues.

All lights on dash come on when just turning the ignition to on position.

There are NO codes thrown during all of the above.

Replaced the ECM with exact OEM Subaru part number with no

Changes.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Any news ?

I've a Legacy 3.0 5AT impossible to start ( after a very rainy storm ) with exactly the same symptom : I hear from the left a clic/clic/clic/clic/clic/clic/clic/ sounds of relays ( maybe ? ) during 3 or 4 sec just before going to the START position but ( starter / main / fuel pump / ETC ) relays have been tested ok ...

When I go to START position during these last 3 days 60% with no ignition 39% with the starter rotate but no ignition even after 5 or 6 sec and one time today the starter turns for only about 1 or 2 secs and still no ignition.

I've the service manual with its 6000 pages and found few pages about a IG2 relay but no indication where to find it ???

Thanks by advance

I'm trying to test the engine compartment relays into the fuse box but 4 are impossible to catch because they are surrounded by plastic of the relay holder ????????

I just see the top of the relay and the two side linear appeartures into the relay holder

My wife's old 08 OB would do this. One of three things would happen.

1. Car would start, everything was normal

2. Car would start but the radio/HVAC would not turn on

3. Car would not start

We figured out the ignition lock would overtravel. Never had it fixed. Traded it in.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

me too few times ago even if for me I was able to start the engine if I remember right but now this is not this for me.

I just go back to the car and the clic happen only one time after trying to start just after reconnecting the battery : if I try a second time to launch the engine there is no clic and I have to disconnect the battery 5 or 10min to hear again the clic after reconnecting the battery of course ???

Archived