LegacyGT.com

Reliability of legacy vs impreza sport

n a nut shell i'm moving out into the country to be a farmer (yay). I've decided that my 02' GT sedan isn't going to cut it.

Im gonna need something:

-Reliable

-Hatchback

-Not turbo

-saftey

Right now im in the market for something 06+. I'm more concerned about reliability and safety, but the hatchback is a must.

Is this one of those "you can't go wrong with either?" in terms of reliability and the year of the car (different generations) or "less miles the better". I don't know much about imprezas, but I think for the kind of things ill be doing it makes more sense than the bigger legacy hatchback. However, I'm not totally against a legacy hatchback I just like the look of the impreza sports better.

Thoughts anyone?

I would assume you are referring to the wagon of each model correct? The differences mainly deal in size and refinement with the legacy being better in both areas, they both feature the same 2.5l engine. Now if you push up into 08+ impreza and 10+ legacy there are some changes mainly that they don't offer a legacy wagon and the Impreza became a true hatchback rather than a wagon.

There's a lot we could explain but if you'd be willing to share some ideas you have for using the car then we can possibly provide a little more detailed guidance.

How about a Saab 9-2x? It's a badge-engineered Impreza wagon with some beefed up suspension bits (Aero got a few STi spec pieces that the WRX did not). They also have nicer interiors and (IMO) better looking front/rear ends. Sides are largely the same.

Fortunately they left the ignition where it's supposed to be.

Aero (same as WRX):

Saab9-2x-ai.jpg

Linear/2.5i (same as base Impreza--not turbo) this one has some NYC spec aftermarket door ding guard strips on it that are a bit tacky (but probably functional)

Saab_9-2X.jpg

There's not a whole lot of difference from the firewall forward of either the Legacy or Impreza. Rear suspension on the Impreza is macpherson struts, on the Legacy it's multilink with coilover shocks. Front crossmember and lower control arms have chassis bracing, not so on the Legacy.

Drivelines are virtually identical.

Really it comes down to which you like sitting in better. I find Impreza seats to be a little tighter, more supportive, Legacy ones are more comfortable for long trips (but less supportive). Legacy is bigger, has more rear seat passenger space, more cargo space, etc. It's also slightly heavier.

Forester is also a great choice for a wagon. It's built on the Impreza platform (raised up a couple of inches) so a lot of the suspension upgrades work, but it's more utilitarian than the Impreza wagon. I find the cargo area is easier to get stuff in and out of vs. the Impreza wagon simply because it's flat off the rear gate, like the Legacy/Outback wagons. The Impreza has a bulkhead that sticks up a bit. . . so if you're gonna be carrying 50lb bags of feed/concrete, go with the Forester/Outback/Legacy wagon.

I went in the dealer last week to test drive the WRX and ordered my 2nd Subaru Legacy, while I was there beside the Silver metalic WRX STI eye catching. The Impreza crosstrek and the sport hatch gave me a few eyeing on. Def get the crosstrek if i were you.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

Never seen a framer that didn't have a truck. I guess you got one of them there things already.

An 2.5i outback is your best bet.

Why would you want something as small as an Impreza ? If you want something that small, get a Jeep CJ

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So, we will have access to three long bed trucks for major hauling. And my girlfriend has an MDX, so we have the suv on lock. The main reason I'm not pulling the trigger on an outback or Forrester is style. Yes, they make more sense, but I don't need either one. I like the looks of the impreza and legacy.

As far as what the cars will be doing, they probably will be utilized as much as most hatchbacks are normally. I rarely think I'll be hauling 500 pounds of feed in my Subie, I have three trucks. It would be smaller things, like dogs and camping gear and small equipment and sacks of garbage etc.

I'll look into the Saab. What year is that?

My budget is around twelve grand, and I don't think a Crosstreck is in that price range.

I want to stay Subaru because I know how they work and how to fix them.

9-2x is 05/06 only. Saab kinda went kablooey not long after that. You can still maintain all the mechanical stuff with parts from Subaru. . . it's just the front & rear plastics/sheetmetal and interior fabrics that are saab-specific.

You can pick them up for well under $10k all day long. I sold an 06 2.5i with 98k on it and leather/sunroof for $6,000 not long ago (rebuilt title though).

Yeah Crosstrek is more like 15-20k used. Budget a few hundred extra to get rid of the stupid stock wheels if you get one.

If you're going to be in a farm them how about a leggy wagon or an outback???

Hey, I already said that...stop stealing my ideas...;)

I guess that idea just made to much sense.

LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Why not consider a Forester? You can carry more chickens and the occasional sheep.

Already answered that, but yes they do make sense. I just want more info on the imprezas and legacys.

Plus I am taking on an apple orchard, so no animals. And again, I will have access to three trucks.

Ironically, all the Saab's I am finding are the turbo models. If this was three months ago, that would have been perfect! But I need something a bit more reliable...

One thing I haven't heard much about is safety ratings. In general for all models, are the 05-07 generations just as safe as the 08-11's? I know that there was a huge jump in safety features from the third gen legacy to the fourth. Is it the same with Imprezas, foresters, and outbacks?

www.iihs.org for safety ratings. Sometimes you have to go to the early model years of particular chassis to get the info (ie 2003 Forester is rated, but they didn't test the 2008's since they are exactly the same car). Pretty much any Subaru from about 2003 onward is gonna have a 5 star safety rating front, side and rollover or roof strength, although newer tests like the moderate overlap and small overlap frontal tests are very new tests within the last few years. New safety features that have been added since about 2009 is the side curtain airbags on most models, an that's about it other than maybe being engineered a little different because of the newer front overlap tests. And obviously newer cars (which you are probably not considering) have the EyeSight system.

For the most part, the Subaru motors, trannys, drivetrain and suspension are pretty much the same across the model selection, so mechanically there is good reliability and part interchangeability with all Subarus. Some NA models have had some head gasket issues, but that was largely the early 2.5 NA motors although it can still happen to any car.

Archived