LegacyGT.com

9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school

ehsnils

IRVING — Ahmed Mohamed — who makes his own radios and repairs his own go-kart — hoped to impress his teachers when he brought a homemade clock to MacArthur High on Monday.

Instead, the school phoned police about Ahmed’s circuit-stuffed pencil case.

So the 14-year-old missed the student council meeting and took a trip in handcuffs to juvenile detention. His clock now sits in an evidence room. Police say they may yet charge him with making a hoax bomb — though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it’s a clock.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dallas-county/headlines/20150915-irving-9th-grader-arrested-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school.ece
453747.png

Wow. Way to go Texas. I like how the English teacher thought (or "thought" depending on her viewpoint) it looked like a bomb and decided to hang on to it in her own possession. Brilliant!

I particularly enjoyed this part:

“We have no information that he claimed it was a bomb,” McLellan said. “He kept maintaining it was a clock, but there was no broader explanation.”

Asked what broader explanation the boy could have given, the spokesman explained:

“It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?”

Maybe... and this is just a guess... it was built to... perhaps... tell time... or something....

No it does not.

People's perception of what a bomb looks like is incredibly skewed.

I am not saying a bomb has to be large because they certainly do not, but people were flying off the handle with knee jerk reactions to that picture stating that' "...bringing a briefcase into a school with wires hanging out.." yet fail to spend more than 2 seconds looking at it to realize the scale of the whole thing. Look at the wall socket plug.

Also, unless the maker decided to fully conceal the explosives, point out to me where the explosives are.

The whole ordeal is ridiculous.

If he weren't a brown kid, this wouldn't have been suck a big ordeal. Unfortunately the fear mongering of the Us Government and media has made most people, even subconsciously, assume that anyone who looks like they are of "Middle Eastern" decent should be watched more closely than anyone else.

That shit looked like a bomb. I don't care if you said if it was a clock.

That looks like circuits boards in a case - no explosive material whatsoever.

You need this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T0VIHVUrxKQ/SwX7Bx1W3eI/AAAAAAAADOM/fcD__AEt0Ms/s1600/Picture+1.png

This looks like a bomb:

http://i.imgur.com/p1pgcvj.jpg

I have enough drama for now.....

He disassembled an old clock and put it in a pencil case.

My guess is he and his family were expecting the intended result.

They posted an instagram photo recently with all smiles and thumbs up saying on way to lawyer.

SO my guess is it was all a setup to sue.

I am happy to grow up when and where I grew up. As a kid, maybe younger than Ahmed, I did similar things. I would disassemble everything insight to see how it worked, and try to reassemble them in hopes that they would work. Many things i would repurpose reuse or even repackage and claim I invented it, knowing all the hard work was already done for me.

I see nothing more than a curious kid who attempted to impress his teacher or peers.

That being said, I am also glad the teacher reported what they thought was a bomb, but I do not know if proper procedure was taken. Knowing the media I am sure we are being fed the information how they want it to be heard

• 4 weeks later...
KUDO's to the teach!... did the right thing, she's not an expert and that device could certainly scare anyone, ESPECIALLY in an environment where kids are concerned. The violence that is being perpetrated in schools needs overly cautious eyes!If that device wasn't benign and caused harm everyone would be shouting about the stupidity and neglect.

KUDO's to the teach!... did the right thing, she's not an expert and that device could certainly scare anyone, ESPECIALLY in an environment where kids are concerned. The violence that is being perpetrated in schools needs overly cautious eyes!If that device wasn't benign and caused harm everyone would be shouting about the stupidity and neglect.

Except she didn't treat the clock as if it were a bomb. She treated it as if it were any other object that kids in school shouldn't use in class. She confiscated it, retained it in her possession, handed it to the principal, and then remained in the immediate vicinity the entire time.

Once she recognized it to be a clock, she should have acknowledged that and verbally reprimand the student for the distraction. Instead, she escalated the entire situation despite the fact that her actions clearly indicated she didn't believe she was in any immediate threat. How is that something worthy of kudos?

This whole thing is a crock of shit. That little punk didn't invent anything, he took an old clock apart and stuck it in a pencil case. Test run to see how people react to a "device" that is of unknown purpose. And to think Barry invited him to the White House, yeah, that makes sense.

Archived