LegacyGT.com

When to trade in?

http404

2006 Legacy NA with 154k. I live in Florida and drive about 15k per year.

Oil consumption of about 1 quart per 3k miles.

Have not changed timing belt or any other scheduled maintenence since I got it around 70k miles. Wondering if it's a good idea to trade in for a new Subaru or put a few thousand $$$ into this one before things start going bad.

I'd love some opinions, thoughts, perspectives.

Thanks,

Yeah Bro, the timing belt only prevents your valves from becoming chiclets and implanting themselves into your pistons like corn in John Wayne's turds, dont sweat all these geeks telling you to change it, show them that you know better than all those sushi swilling engineers that wrote your car's maintenance intervals. Psssht, maintenance of critical components is for suckers. :rolleyes:

I would normally recommend that you sell private party but since you did not properly maintain the car, trade it in. Timing belt was due at 105K

What difference does it make? OP is the type of A-hole that makes it a crap shoot buying a used car. Its actually worse if he trades it in, because the dealer wont know or care about the car's shit record of maintenance and he will sell the car to an unsuspecting buyer for an even higher price then the buyer could've got private party.

End result is that the buyer still gets a POS, but pays more for it.

Thanks for the help and advice most have provided.

I have of course changed the oil, but have never owned a car with this high of miles (never anything over 90k) and had recently changed the serpentine / accessory belts. This is when I found this forum and started to learn how to / and why proper maintenence is so important.

If me asking honest questions and looking for help makes me the target for a few angry posters, then I'll own it. Feedback is helpful, but some of you seem to take an honest and open question as a time to show everyone how sarcastic and unhelpful you can be. To you congrats! You are high functioning in both of those competencies :)

Thank you we know who we are! If you reread your OP you will see the attitude it portrays is someone who knew the maintenance should have been done they just didn't do it. I apologize if that wasn't the case and you simply were ignorant of the maintenance that was due.

Now then on the bright side the timing belt hasn't broken so you could go ahead and at least change that which would cost a whole $40-50 and then assess what you should do from there. Not saying it isn't a bit of work, it is but there are youtube videos that will show you exactly how to do it. While you are in there might as well flush the radiator and engine and get some new coolant. At this point those are the minimums of maintenance you should consider catching up on. The trans and diffs would be a wise choice to change fluids out as well.

I appreciate the tough love and accountability. I will use it as a motivating tool to get things to where they need to be. When I saw my serpentine belt breaking down a while back I knew it was necessary to change it, came here to find a walk-through, and boom - realized there is a lot I haven't done. After thinking about it this week and the comments here; I've got a responsibility to catch up on the maintenance whether I get a new car or not. Thanks to all of you on the forum and your dynamic personalities - especially the John Wayne character.

Archived