LegacyGT.com

Most Cost Effective Aftermarket Wheel for the Outback?

jm02130

Appearance aside, what, in the opinion of the "pros" here, is the most cost-effective after-market wheel for the Outback XT Wagon?

I'm looking for the wheels that will produce the greatest improvement in handling, braking, etc. (as compared to the stock wheels), without costing $2,000+ a set. Any recommendations? I plan to stay 17" and to replace the Bridgestones with a better all-weather tire-- probably the Michelin Pilots if I can afford them (if that makes any difference in what wheels folks might recommend).

Appearance aside, what, in the opinion of the "pros" here, is the most cost-effective after-market wheel for the Outback XT Wagon?

I'm looking for the wheels that will produce the greatest improvement in handling, braking, etc. (as compared to the stock wheels), without costing $2,000+ a set. Any recommendations? I plan to stay 17" and to replace the Bridgestones with a better all-weather tire-- probably the Michelin Pilots if I can afford them (if that makes any difference in what wheels folks might recommend).

If looks are not important, why to replace stock wheels? If you look at most cost-effective way to improve handling, braking, etc., wouldn't it be more cost effective to get better tires, better brake pads/brakes, better suspension? Seems like a misplaced focus given the goal.

If looks are not important, why to replace stock wheels? If you look at most cost-effective way to improve handling, braking, etc., wouldn't it be more cost effective to get better tires, better brake pads/brakes, better suspension? Seems like a misplaced focus given the goal.

That may be true. But the question is how much lighter wheels will improve the ride and handling. We're talking about unsprung weight here. Hence my question as to how much the stock alloy wheels weigh.

these are what I am considering 18X8, Forged, 18lbs, $899 a set. Not as inexpensive as Rota's, but I think the larger size and light weight for the size is worth an extra $150.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-WRX-18x8-0-Motoforge-SG10-Silver-Forged-Wheel_W0QQitemZ8001089155QQcategoryZ43958QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a set of 2-piece forged rims with tires (Fuzion ZRi's in 225/40/18 about 2000-3000 miles on them, rims and tires in mint condition) in 18x7.0 with +42 offset...pm me if you are interested :)

oh...those motoforge...don't get them...they are "born" with cracks on the spokes...take my word for it...;)

In Taiwan now...:spin:

<------ 18" Rota Tarmac II in Steel Grey. If you want increased performance and handling, you want a larger diameter rim so you can run a lower profile tire...in the OBXT case, an 18" rim will require a 245-45-18 tire, or something along those lines if that is the width you are looking for. If you want better performance as in acceleration, look for light weight rims, but those usually run a pretty penny...but some good deals can be found if you look hard enough.

I am MORE than happy with my rim set up, and tires...Dunlop Direzza DZ101 in 245-45-18. Note my avitar, and the race track time I put on the car ;) Way too fun.

Archived