LegacyGT.com

Brake/wheel bearing question

So recently my 2.5i has been having an issue with the brakes, not in performance but squealing. Very odd issue I'll drive and it's fine but after long highway trips when in slow down they start sealing and by they I mean the passenger front only. Also when I turn to the left the get louder but to the right it goes away and straight line driving the squeal is constant.

First thought was sticking caliper so I took the wheel and looked at the rotor and it is worn but the pads are in decent shape. The was no play in the hub so I'm kinda stumped.

Before I replace the rotors I wanted to get your opinions on the matter. Could this be a wheel bearing issue or a caliper issue?

why dont you try greasing your breaking components first before springing for an new hub assembly its much cheaper. grease it all the slide pins behind the caliper clean them and grease them as well as anything would rub when you apply the brakes. caliper to pads and the little tabs on the pads as well. it would be a lot cheaper. like you said there is no play from the hub.

Prior to this post I greased everything then went on a 400 mile road trip, the last 100 miles of that trip were so annoying every left turn or veering to the left resulted in louder sqealing.

I figure the bearing will remain in tolerance for short trips but over a long distance and as it heats up it falls out of tolerance and allows the rotor to rub on the pad shims causing the squeal which is what they are supposed to do.

I ordered a new Timken unit will install it soon.

Yeah, It drove me crazy for 3 months. I was in the process of selling a house and moving to a new town so I could not tear my car apart at the time. In the mean time my Outback's Alternator took a dump so I had to fix that also. It will be so quit when you get it fixed. :cheer: Now I can hear all the other not so bad noises. :)

Archived