LegacyGT.com

95 Subaru Legacy HELP

I have a 1995 Subaru Legacy L

Automatic

Has 198,101 miles on it.

I am getting horrible gas mileage, is what MOST of the people tell me whenever they ask how my gas mileage is like

I only use Shell Midgrade gas in my car.

I'm usually getting anywhere from 100 to 120 miles on a half tank of gas.

I don't think that is right

Like last night, after I filled up a few days ago, I had already driven 154 miles, and the gas handle was on the bigger mark before the E.

So just a little bit ago, I topped off my tank, and filled it up.

Currently my odometer reads 198,100. I think it was like 198,094 when I left the gas station.

There are no check engine light on the dash

I was told my 02 sensors could need replacing.

I've been trying to look up 02 sensors for my car but there are so many, (3 wire, 4 wire, I don't know which ones to buy)

Another thing I am wanting to know is when should I replace the timing belt and water pump? I was told to replace the timing belt and water pump at the same time.

I bought the car back in March 2015, when it had 183,xxx miles.

I would have to check the title for the exact mileage when I bought it.

Only thing I have done to the car is replace spark plugs and wires, new brake pads, 4 new tires, and change the oil every 3500 to 5000 miles. I've been using Castrol GTX SAE 5W-30.

I was told by the person who sold me the car, to replace the transmission oil about 200,000 miles. I'm reaching that mile marker very soon.

Probably hit 200,000 miles in the next 2 weeks or so.

Another issue I noticed was under the Power Steering area, there was like a oil type liquid sitting in the cracks, I don't know what it is.

Could it be that I need to replace the power steering part?

I can take pictures of this area later today when there is daylight outside.

Is there anybody that could help me out on these issues?

the fuel gauges in our cars are crap, mine will run on the E for about 100 miles usually. dont really go by the actual gauge, go y how many miles you drive and how much fuel you put in it. how much fuel are you putting in after the 150ish miles is the important part. a half tank for us is 8 gallons, 150 miles in 8 gallons is pretty crappy for our cars, if this is what you are getting you need to do some maintenance and find out what is causing it.

if you dont know when the timing belt and water pump were done, i would do it about now. replace all the idlers and tensioners since you are peeking up at 200k miles as well. all the seals on the front as well. that would be a good time to drain the power steering reservoir and replace the O ring between the pump and reservoiir as well, fixing that leak you are seeing.

guestimateing gas milage is impossible until you know the details about your car.

it takes time to learn the details of any ''new'' car.

the ONLY way to accurately figure gas mileage is to

divide ''miles driven'' by ''gallons pumped'' to fill up.

and you have to start with a full tank before you start to measure ''miles driven''.

the fuel gauges in our cars are crap, mine will run on the E for about 100 miles usually. dont really go by the actual gauge, go y how many miles you drive and how much fuel you put in it. how much fuel are you putting in after the 150ish miles is the important part. a half tank for us is 8 gallons, 150 miles in 8 gallons is pretty crappy for our cars, if this is what you are getting you need to do some maintenance and find out what is causing it.

if you dont know when the timing belt and water pump were done, i would do it about now. replace all the idlers and tensioners since you are peeking up at 200k miles as well. all the seals on the front as well. that would be a good time to drain the power steering reservoir and replace the O ring between the pump and reservoiir as well, fixing that leak you are seeing.

Yeah I think it was about 7.5 /8 gallons is what i pumped.

I can go like 55 to 70 miles extra after its passed the E mark, then the gas light starts coming on and going off, but then eventually it will stay on, meaning get to a gas station lol

i kinda know some information on the car.

What/Where are the seals on the front? And the idlers? I know where the tensioners is.

And when you say replace the 0 ring between the pump and reservoir, do you mean the water pump or power steering pump?

guestimateing gas milage is impossible until you know the details about your car.

it takes time to learn the details of any ''new'' car.

the ONLY way to accurately figure gas mileage is to

divide ''miles driven'' by ''gallons pumped'' to fill up.

and you have to start with a full tank before you start to measure ''miles driven''.

I wish I knew why my damn cruise control wasn't working.

When I click the button on the dash, the light comes on under the button, but the CRUISE light on the dash under the speedometer won't show.

Like it won't engange.

It's looks like it plugged up correctly under the hood.

I was looking under my steering wheel, and I saw some plugs that weren't plugged in together. Are they suppose to be that way or....?

I GET TIRED OF HOLDING DOWN THE GAS PEDAL DRIVING HOURS AWAY AND KNOWING I HAVE CRUISE CONTROL BUT CAN'T GET IT TO WORK.

I ALWAYS TRY TO SET IT WHEN IM DRIVING AT LEAST 30MPH

if the cruise cable coming out of the fire wall under the hood is not properly seated the cruise will not work.

this is a really long shot,

but it is an easy check.

does the horn work?

if the ''clock spring'' in the steer wheel goes bad the cruise and horn may not work.

also may throw a, air bag code.

What were you referring to when you say Stage Zero?

Installing new parts, like air filter, ignition coil, spark plugs wires, spark plugs, fuel filter, refreshing your engine bay grounds, clear the carbon from your combustion chamber, etc. Literally return to zero.

What/Where are the seals on the front? And the idlers? I know where the tensioners is.

And when you say replace the 0 ring between the pump and reservoir, do you mean the water pump or power steering pump?

there is a seal on the oil pump, and get the oem metal gasket for the water pump. the idlers are on the front of the engine with the timing belt spinning on them, youll understand more when you pull the covers off. the o ring i mentioned replacing was the power steering reservoir seal, in between the power steering pump and the reservoir. they all leak eventually, even the one i replaced back in 2011 on my wagon is leaking again.

as for mileage, my 95 FWD wagon gets about 26 usually, topped out at 31 on a trip across the country. the 96 AWD GT sedan gets about 23ish and never really leaves the city, and the 96 outback i just picked up seems to not even get up to, let alone over 20 mpg yet. im only on the 2nd tank tho, and i havent done any tune stuff to it yet. just getting a baseline, then ill start changing stuff and see where it ends up.

if the cruise cable coming out of the fire wall under the hood is not properly seated the cruise will not work.

this is a really long shot,

but it is an easy check.

does the horn work?

if the ''clock spring'' in the steer wheel goes bad the cruise and horn may not work.

also may throw a, air bag code.

Yes, the horn works.

What does this cable look like in the fire-wall?

Installing new parts, like air filter, ignition coil, spark plugs wires, spark plugs, fuel filter, refreshing your engine bay grounds, clear the carbon from your combustion chamber, etc. Literally return to zero.

What i meant by that was is Stage Zero a brand name?

there is a seal on the oil pump, and get the oem metal gasket for the water pump. the idlers are on the front of the engine with the timing belt spinning on them, youll understand more when you pull the covers off. the o ring i mentioned replacing was the power steering reservoir seal, in between the power steering pump and the reservoir. they all leak eventually, even the one i replaced back in 2011 on my wagon is leaking again.

as for mileage, my 95 FWD wagon gets about 26 usually, topped out at 31 on a trip across the country. the 96 AWD GT sedan gets about 23ish and never really leaves the city, and the 96 outback i just picked up seems to not even get up to, let alone over 20 mpg yet. im only on the 2nd tank tho, and i havent done any tune stuff to it yet. just getting a baseline, then ill start changing stuff and see where it ends up.

I've never done a water pump and timing belt change ever

I know it will cost me less if I do it

I was told by Subaru delearhship they have to take out the motor in order for this to be done....as I seen on YouTube, it does not to be taken out.

Archived