LegacyGT.com

Keyless Start Fob Not Working

F1rstSubaru

I am buying a 2016 Legacy Limited with keyless start. I've never had something like that, and it makes me nervous. Is there a way to start the car even if the battery is dead, or some other malfunction, in the key fob? (NOTE: I'm not talking about the car battery: that's a different matter.)

I've been reading the manual online, but I haven't yet found anything about starting the car with a malfunctioning fob. The dealer can tell me how to do it. I don't need to know that now. I just need to be reassured that there IS a way. Otherwise, I may back out of the purchase and consider a Legacy with a key.

I've been reading the manual, but I hadn't found that section yet. I did see it after I posted. This reminds me of a special acronym: RYFM. Read Your Freakin' Manual!

So I've read that part now, and I think I'm going to take the battery out of the fob and try it. Thanks.

I like RYFM because it's pronouncable, as "riffem." That makes it easier to say.

This is my first keyless car. It does have a backup key, but that only gets you inside. A friend of mine has a Kia with keyless start. He can start the car with the backup key because it has a lock inside the glove box. I don't think I have that on my Legacy.

Archived