LegacyGT.com

The hunt continues

Plugs are perfect gapped at .040, wires are brand new OEM, coil pack is brand new and checks out perfect, injectors are in perfect order, o2 sensors are working, ignitor is new, new crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. I have done everything that could be causing the problem and even had my local subaru mechanic check it out and they can't fins anything wrong with it. It all leads back to electrical. Oh and compression is perfect. No other codes but a phantom misfire that isn't a true misfire.

Update: Subaru (Stealership) wanted to keep my car for two weeks just to get 6 hours of labor at $780 to locate the problem. So I got my car back, and probably going to sell it if I cannot figure this shit out

I've ran iridiums in my other friends cars and they have had no problems with it. this problem has been occurring since I bought the car and the guy was running platinums in it when I changed them out to iridium. And I checked the gap and its .044. The plugs are not the problem because if they where then the problem would of been fixed but it's not.

i have iridiums in one of my wagons, have been in there for a few years. theres no problem using them, its just a waste of money. i tried copper, platinum and iridiums in that car, there was no difference in performance between the platinums and iridiums.

• 2 weeks later...
Update: talked to a smog guy about the phantom misfire code And said if he recalls right the transmission switches have been known to throw phantom misfire codes in these gts. Checking the switches this weekend and will post about what I find when I do the continuity test

Does you ghost misfire actually incur a misfire? Is this happening on damp days only? Might want to mist water around the engine and look for electrical shorts. We had an ej22 Lego that would randomly misfire. Found out the plug wires/coil were grounding out. And it wouldn't always happen on days when it rained either. Drove me nuts for 4 months!

Conditions do not change the out come. It does it when it is clear and sunny out and on rainy days. It doesn't cause a real misfire. It's phantom because the codes that are being pulled are not actually happening. My Subaru tech even said that it isn't even misfiring, but it's pulling something that is making it determine it as a misfire. What the smog tech said makes perfect sense though, the misfire only happens when the car is under load (in gear racing at 2500-3500rpms) and when it pops up there is no roughness in the engine at all. So I'm going to check all wires leading to the tranny to see if everything is legit in that aspect. Because like I said, it does make sense that it would be causing the misfire because it only happens under load.

• 2 weeks later...
*UPDATE* Checked the tranny neutral switch by doing a continuity test on it. Definitely got some results that are troubling. First checked the switch to get continuity at 0 when it neutral, no dice. Just registered as no continuity, infinite amount of ohms. Next was to test it with it in gear. Through it into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (gears I have noticed the misfire to occur) and it came back with continuity. According to my book it is suppose to be the opposite. When you have it in neutral it should register as continuity and when it is in gear it should register as no continuity or infinite amount of ohms. I don't exactly if this is what is causing my phantom misfire but if the tech that I talked to is right then I may have just solved my misfire problem. Anyone have a clue on whether this could cause my phantom misfire?

Archived