LegacyGT.com

Connecting rod end play???

So i got into my engine because my heads failed only from the oils seals and not really the water jacket, it never overheated. it would seep out at times and smoke a bunch from dripping on the exhaust. then i got the head gasket seal kit from the dealer and got into it a little more trying to find seals to replace.

well i got to wiggling my connecting rods after taking the oil pan and oil plate (not the technical name) to get a view of the rods and crank shaft. i am wiggling from side to side which obviously they don't do they run up and down. one of the rods is giving quite the clicking noise, i need to give the other rod ends more wiggles to get them to even make a noise.

i need a feeler gauge but cant find one that starts at .002 of an inch. i think the acceptable range for rod end play is .006 i cant remember. i want .002 feeler gauge to check my deck with a strait edge and cant find one. has anyone had this connecting rod problem?

i would get a little knock in cold weather only after i let the clutch out after i started it to warm it up but if held it down for forever (disengaged the input shaft) it would sound 100 percent ok.

my clutch fork snapped in half; which is when i discovered my heads being so bad which is why i started this rebuild, and dont have a licence which is why i also decided to do it. its been about 3 months of just a few hours here and there and now im stuck.

i dont know why that rod is clicking. its the rear driver's side cylinder i think that is 4 i cant remember but i will know more after i find the feeler gauges im looking for.

ill take some pictures and post them also in the next couple days. i thought that just slapping some gaskets and seals was gonna be enough but now i think that i am way over my head thinking that ill have to split the case, machine the crank, and redo all the bearings and rods and piston pins and such so i dont know what to do. please help

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

There's the service manual. Make sure you find the correct section. Oh sorry I see you have an 02.

The service manual will be in here, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wants-see-my-vacation-pixi-6216.html

Use this to see the inside parts, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/subaru-oem-parts-catalog-online-exploded-views-opposed-forces-130411.html

Please read what your wrote and learn how to write in sentences so it's easier to read.

Any auto parts store will have feeler gauges, is there a Harbor fright near you? They have great prices on tools.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

sorry jaBROnni. my sentence structure and mind gets all mushy when i drink. so basically all the time. (laugh out loud)

thanks for the service manual links i think they might have taken it down though. (frowning face) ill look at the 05 insides are basically the same.

The auto parts stores do have them, but they mostly all start at .004 and not .002 which is the limit for warpage on your head and deck surfaces.

im sure if that is what i get stuck with it wont make too much of a difference but im gonna keep looking just in case.

harbor freight doesn't have them either thats my first stop most of the time

Archived