LegacyGT.com

Best Tuning? Opensource or Cobb AP?

JoeJITSU

I just had my tuner do a tune on my 2005 OBXT.

I am just wondering if I can just buy the AP V3 and upload my own maps? How does this all work?

Please let me know, I am trying to get the best tune out of my car.

So far I upgraded Air Intake, Catted DP, and UP.

Both platforms will allow you to have an excellent tune, the quality of the tune being primarily dependent on the tuner, not the platform.

Since you're asking about getting an AP, you presumably have an open source tune. If you wanted to apply the open source tune through the AP, you'd need to manually copy the tables from the open source map to a new Cobb map, making sure to preserve units of measure (IIRC RomRaider ECU Editor and Accesstuner Race default to different units of measure unless you change the view settings). If you're not familiar w/ this, you should leave that to a tuner.

I ran open source on my 05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero, but am running an AP3 on my 05 OBXT. I personally like the convenience of the AP display/gauges and not having to keep a laptop/netbook in the car for datalogging.

I'll probably get a lot of feedback for this, but I will never understand why so many people have access points. Not having to keep my tablet in the car for datalogging is not worth $400. Anyway, the only reason to log is when you need to modify your tune or diagnose an issue. You need a pc for that anyway. Open source lets you do almost everything the ap does. If you are serious about tuning you should have dedicated gauges anyway. Best thing about open source, it's free....

^ I don't disagree w/ any of your points, the argument in favor of open source due to cost (lack thereof) is a big one. In my case, I work mainly from home using a large-ish 17" laptop, the only one I have. Like some on here, I datalog almost every mile I drive (my car is somewhat extensively modified and I'm running a self-edited/always evolving protune). Although I work mainly from home I have to drive my daughter to school and/or camp daily, so having the AP in the car avoids me having to disconnect and carry the laptop to/from the school/camp dropoff commute every day.

As for cost, my car came w/ an AP2 when i bought it 2 yrs ago, so selling it makes the purchase of the AP3 a small additional investment in return for a bit more convenience ( (I got the AP3 in mint condition last yr for $450).

I have dedicated boost, EGT and oil pressure gauges in the center console cubby, and use the AP3 digital gauges to display IAT, DAM, FBKC, FLKC. I guess my application is somewhat of a special case, but I think it's adequate justification to have things they way I have them :)

Best thing about open source, it's free....

Even though I'm big on OpenSource, lets be fair here, if you want a reliable way of flashing your car you need a Tactrix cable, which is $180ish and not free. Sure you can use it on more then one car, but for most people that wont be the case.

I love Open Source, use it religiously, and highly advise to anyone who has access to Tactrix cable, otherwise Cobb is borderline better way to go if your just gonna run OTS maps anyway.

Also Cobb still has engineers that look for new tables and features, especially for 2010+ cars. Open source sadly hasn't been getting that much new development since Merchgod went to work for Cobb.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I just bought a used tactrix 2.0 for something like 100.... The original ones are even cheaper and you can use a vag-com for even less.

Serx, I completely understand wanting those pasrticular digital readouts.

Covert, he's got on 05, so upgraded defs are not an issue for him. I have been away from Subaru's for a few years. Had no idea merch left for Cobb. That's sad.

I just bought a used tactrix 2.0 for something like 100.... The original ones are even cheaper and you can use a vag-com for even less.

Serx, I completely understand wanting those pasrticular digital readouts.

Covert, he's got on 05, so upgraded defs are not an issue for him. I have been away from Subaru's for a few years. Had no idea merch left for Cobb. That's sad.

That's good if you can get one that cheap, most I've seen even on forums were $150ish.

There are still plenty of tables that haven't really been fully discovered vetted yet. Luckily latest definition of ECU Flash brought out a lot of the new experimental tables :). I can't say how much Cobb has, since I don't own one :).

Yeah it sucks that he left, he was the one that did the most definitions and no one else picked it up on his scale sadly. Development is still active, and there are some new definitions, just not on the same scale.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived