LegacyGT.com

Heat Shield Bracket Broken

Less than 600 miles from the big 100,000 and one of the heat shield supports sheared off. No idea how or even why. I've had the GrimmSpeed Heat Shield on for months and it's holding on with the two remaining bolts.

Should I put the stock shield back on? I still have it and the required bolts.

Is this one bolt bracket worth repairing?

20150727_182038.thumb.jpg.e9d63b40ddea8dba963f04d0bb596a01.jpg

20150727_182104.thumb.jpg.4401c9cb673fe2069ec931ddb5315ef2.jpg

The corrosion and rattle is why I chose an aftermarket shield and the GS one had the best reviews plus I had credit with an online store at the time.

The GrimmSpeed one is holding on with the two upper bolts and the lowest third one is the one I need. That's the one that broke.

Surely I can't be the only one this has happened to.

Was there a lower bracket for the shield I didn't know about earlier?

I'm not familiar with how that heat shield installs, but it looks like you might be able to get away with using something like a fender washer with a nut and a bolt or something to secure that part down again.

By the way, you're not the only one from a little bit of searching. It doesn't seem too common, but I did come across someone trying to sell one with that part broken, albeit broken in a little different way.

If I'm fine without the bottom bolt I can run with that til I can get repairs done. I don't have a rattle yet, so I can wait. It's not the bolt. So I'm unsure how a bigger bolt and washer are going to help.

It's the tab on the downpipe that bottom bolt screws into that broke.

I get that now, but that doesn't change the fact the bolt doesn't have a nut to screw in to since the tab that has the nut is what broke off.

Is it worth it getting this welded back together?

I was thinking about this all day and figured as much since it's holding on really well as is. When I get the new downpipe I'll have a bracket made. It can wait til then.

Thank you for all of the comments and suggestions everyone.

All my brackets have broken off, been driving without a shield for the past 5 months. Now during the summer months I can tell the difference with the heat soat, so now I'm looking at blankets to cover up the turbo. Blankets are going to be the best bang for the buck.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I was thinking of a blanket before I got the GS turbo shield. Is a blanket worth it on a stock VF40 on stock boost?

My earlier research said no, but if anyone wants to chime in I'm up to read/listen.

I used the gold heat foil on the inside of my stock heat shield. I got it from Pegasus Auto Racing Supply. p/n 1838

Some day if I ever get around to it, I'll put some on the bottom of the tmic over the turbo.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The gold heat foil is what's on over half of my GrimmSpeed TMIC. I haven't be able to try it yet, but some of the bracket tab survived and I'll try the bolt and fender washer idea. It should work. Hopefully.

Also, with the turbo blanket I thought they absorbed moisture and decreased turbo life. The moisture thing I want to stay away from.

You live in Nevada, how moist can it be...it's not like you live in the south east...Just being a troll ;)

LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I cut out a section from the stock heat shield I had and made a lower bracket for the GrimmSpeed one. I had to take off the intercooler to give me enough room, but it was worth it. Everything is holding on really well and the heat shield is rock solid.

Keep those old parts, you never know what you might end up using them for. Plus now I have metal I can cut and use for cosplay projects now.

11811465_502525133246169_3878118907919453868_n.jpg.adc40a444a7c7914439a889c74ef83ff.jpg

11234910_502525149912834_5494923514425785577_n.jpg.1705c9bf1281c7e58c413f9371a9a4c6.jpg

Archived