LegacyGT.com

True Air-Oil Separator or working Catch Can?

I think you're misunderstanding the idea behind the separator. The bottom port gets plumbed back to the oil pan, which makes the system completely self supporting and maintenance free.

The return location doesn't seem to be terribly important. Every one of them I've seen however, has the drain above the oil level. I'm not certain that this is really that important but it is just the way they are.

My thought is that you could possibly tie into the turbo oil drain line to get the oil back into the pan without cutting and welding much.

Nah I understood it, part of the trouble is finding a good draining point, the other part is I'm not 100% sold on the effectiveness of the BMW separator without baffles. Plus we actually need two of them, one for PCV and one for VC Breathers, thus finding space becomes more of an issue. I would temporarily mount a catchcan after the BMW separator just to see how well it works.

Also, Turbo drain should work, just make sure to use something like a Y splitter, using a T could force the turbo oil into the separator line.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived