LegacyGT.com

Mud flaps or NOT?

I got me a set of RA without holes and screws. Does anyone know where can I get the mounting kit? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You got the basics? Go to home depot and build your own hardware kit, that's what I did with my 92 Legacy SS.

Ahh thanks, I am thinking of using rivets since I have plenty. The only thing is the bracket for one of the rear mount point. I haven't investigate the mounting points yet so I thought I may ask and come up with ideas.

I have the OEM ones and I think they are just fine... they look nice on the car and work as advertised.

I have the OEM ones too and I'm not a fan. They don't cover the entire tire, and aftermarket tires/wheels with more poke are likely to make that worse. Also, they slide over the body a little bit, but they're not sealed at all so dirt/sand can get in there pretty easily.

I'm loathe to remove them at this point as I don't really know how the area under them will look when I slide them off.

Really? The dealership can remove things? Incredible!

let's see here

you are complaining about them and you could have had then removed when you got the car but instead, you left them on the car and now... .well do you see where this is going?

let's see here

you are complaining about them and you could have had then removed when you got the car but instead, you left them on the car and now... .well do you see where this is going?

Yes I do. You do not as there is a simple explanation. I did not have a problem with them originally. I figured the OEM splash guards would be fine and actually requested them when I ordered the car. Since then, I've had a lot of time to observe them on the car and read the experiences of others and my opinion of them had since changed. People change their minds sometimes.

So thanks for letting me know I could have had them removed. Really helpful.

I have read that they help with snow building up in the wheel wells. What do you all think of that?

I think that's unlikely. How would placing a dam at the back of the wheel well keep snow from building up in the wheel well? Seems to me that it might actually increase the buildup, since it adds a surface that snow can stick to, rather than flowing back under the rocker panel (or up on the doors ;) ).

My dad bought Rally Armors for my sisters '13 Outback and they've worked very well. I decided to save $40 and got Rokblokz for my '11 3.6r. I wanted to see how the solid flaps were compared to the floppy urethane. Same protection but when I have my trunk full and go over any decline they rub something fierce. I'd get shorty's if you got a sedan and want Rokblokz but I feel that the RAs are really worth the extra money for the same protection. I also have a set of RA classics on my '02 WRX that I love. Also if you have the factory splash guards get them off ASAP, over time they rub through the paint where they touch on the outside.

...I have the the RA UR mudflaps. I picked them up for winter use and they did a great job on a trek to Indiana and back through all sorts of weather and roads. I also liked the way they looked w/my summer setup so I left them on. They really only rub when I back into my garage.

LOL....I just put the RA on last night. It took me few hours from measuring and choosing get the correct rivets for the washers that I got (they're the same size rivets but snug fit on the washers, so they're barely make it through). I also have them 3 3/4 ground clearance. For now, they look kinda ugly and stupid to me, but maybe because I haven't got used to it on my car. I will give it sometime and see.

LOL....I just put the RA on last night. It took me few hours from measuring and choosing get the correct rivets for the washers that I got (they're the same size rivets but snug fit on the washers, so they're barely make it through). I also have them 3 3/4 ground clearance. For now, they look kinda ugly and stupid to me, but maybe because I haven't got used to it on my car. I will give it sometime and see.

Pics

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160618/af63536ae74f84a451db8bf0fed34998.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160618/b6d4f6284232c120779de07abe502dfb.jpg

I think these mudflaps bring a very aggressive feel to the car. I can't wait to get mines. I havent made the jump yet since its only summer. I'm debating on either going with rokblokz or rally u. :confused:

I think these mudflaps bring a very aggressive feel to the car. I can't wait to get mines. I havent made the jump yet since its only summer. I'm debating on either going with rokblokz or rally u. :confused:

Interesting. I'm considering RA, Gorilla, or simply the OEM guards. I'm all for keeping it low profile but providing some protection for the car, especially as winters in New England can be pretty messy.

I'd skip the OEM guards. They don't protect as well as the aftermarket options and allow water and dirt to get in-between the guards and the paint where they wrap around to the side of the car.

So I've read. Would be interested in option w the easiest install and not too noticeable (as I think the wifey wouldn't really care for them - especially if any noise is created)

So, I passed that ugly and odd looking stage and getting warmed up to the look. There is no noise created, I only scraped once, but it was a steep incline at my brother's driveway. For lesser noticeable, you just have to move the flaps further in, that's all. The installation was a little tricky but not bad.

Hardware: 1/4" and 1" stainless washers (I don't have the exact spec at the moment), rivets, and a rivet gun (if you can borrow one) otherwise around $15.

I recommend you guys to cut out a template from a cardboard box and make a temp one for both front and back then try them to see how you like it. I regret that I didn't use it so I made couple of wrong holes.

Extra trick: I used duct tape to hold the washers in the back end (behind the wheel well covers) and snipped the little holes so the rivets can stick through.

Good luck for those of you want to do it. If you are around my area, I don't mind lend you a hand, rivet gun and rivet nails (nails are free, I have a lot). hahaha

Archived