LegacyGT.com

Clutch/Transmission Issue ('11 Legacy)

ReGiS

So while driving home from work today my clutch was giving me some problems - basically it kept getting stuck/grinding... finally I came to a stop at a red light with the clutch fully engaged and the car completely stalled. When I tried to start it back up again it wouldn't start so I released my foot from the clutch only to see it remain fully engaged (permanently pressed against the floor). I had to manually pull the clutch pedal back up with either my hand or foot. If I pressed it down again, it would again remain stuck.

Needless to say, the car would not start or shift into any gear and I had it towed back to my job. Before I bring it to a mechanic I wanted to get some advice here, as I do not consider myself to be very handy/technical with this stuff.

Any ideas about what the issue may be? Does it sound serious? Potential costs I should be prepared for?

I would really appreciate any input and advice.

-2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i *non-turbo* 75,000 miles-

Might be a master cylinder or something with the hydraulics if the pedal is staying on the floor (no pressure from the master cylinder to push it back up).

Check your transmission fluid levels. If they are low, try and find where it is going.

Grinding, is not a good thing.

If the tranny's coming out, look at $1200 or more. You'll want a new clutch kit at that mileage.

Where in NJ ? check out www.AZPinstalls.com they are a real repair shop.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What about the slave cylinder level on the firewall next to the brake booster ? What's the level of that ?

If that's find, you may have broken fingers on the pressure plate.

Have you got a plan in place for a new clutch if you need one ? Talk to the guy's at AZP, then can get you whatever clutch you want, ask them what they would use if it where there car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

here's the dealer diagnosis:

clutch does need to be replaced

flywheel: 399.99

bearing: 71.33

cover: 209.95

disk: 199.95

labor 10hrs: 1338.80

total:2220.02+tax

what do you guys think? Of course they said they won't know for sure an exact price, may be more, until they really start taking things apart. They offered $5k to buy it how it is...any thoughts? currently it's completely paid off but I have another car and don't need this one. I should mention there's a fairly large dent along the driver fender, door and driver side rear door from someone backing out of a parking spot and taking my car with it. Some dents on the roof from what must have been softball sized hail...a big scratch on the trunk and roof...the cars seen some s***!

and Max - AZP is a bit to far for me to tow it.

Archived