LegacyGT.com

Bad strut top bearing or bad strut?

Mr. Sinister

Hello all,

I've been trying to chase down a clunking/knocking/tapping noise that started out happening only on left turns but has progressively gotten worse such that I also hear it at low speeds while going straight. It doesn't always happen, but mostly when I'm doing less than 20/25.

A few weeks ago I found that the top strut nut on the driver's side was finger loose, so I torqued it back down which seemed to make the noise go away for a little while, but it came back. Putting some weight on that corner, I can faintly hear the noise today and taking off the dust cap and putting my finger on the top of the strut rod, I can also "feel" the noise.

So, do you guys think that the bearing up top is bad or do I need new struts? No bounce in the front or leaks as far as I can tell. Bad tophat maybe? What else could be wrong? Thanks.

I had the same issue on my 3.0R with Bilsteins. When mine started clunking like that, I was able to jack up the car and move the top of the wheel in and out slightly. I also had a front end vibration that would come and go.

Mine had no play at all. I initially suspected a wheel bearing that would only make noises under specific types of loads. Waiting to hear back from SOA about getting it covered under my extended warranty that just ran out. I reported it way before it did though (over 6 months ago), so I expect that it'll be fully covered.

• 2 weeks later...
I am trying to diagnose clunking too. Right front wheel, mainly at low speeds on even slightest road imperfections. Bilsteins seem to be in great shape, dumping very well in corners and going fast through deep dips in the road. Obviously not leaking. So far I did swaybar bushings, endlinks and half shaft. Clunking still there. All other bushings in good shape. out of ideas

Archived