LegacyGT.com

Clunk when transmission engages/disengages (MT)

2005 OBXT Limited MT 108k (stock)

I'm getting a pretty annoying clunk when the transmission engages or disengages in the lower gears. I have initially diagnosed the problem (without looking under the car) as potentially worn out transmission bushings.

Has anyone had this problem and if so, is there a picture or diagram that shows where the suspected bushing live under the car?

Any suggestions on replacement bushings and what is the level of effort/expertise needed to fix the issue?

My searching found some replacement bushings here (if that turns out to be the culprit):

http://www.autocityimports.com//0509-legacy-bushings-c-3938_4376_4389.html

Thanks,

Gerrit

oncesir, no recent work done on the car other than an oil change. Since I get the clunk when I let off the gas AND when I accelerate (no matter how slow or fast), I am leaning towards the transmission mount. Anyone have pictures of a diagram of where I might find said mounts to see if the bushings look trashed?

oncesir, no recent work done on the car other than an oil change. Since I get the clunk when I let off the gas AND when I accelerate (no matter how slow or fast), I am leaning towards the transmission mount. Anyone have pictures of a diagram of where I might find said mounts to see if the bushings look trashed?

There is only one mount that attaches to the transmission. If you are under the car it will be very obvious. It is between the trans cross-member and the transmission itself.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_7/engine/engine_mounting/illustration_2/

Since I get the clunk when I let off the gas AND when I accelerate (no matter how slow or fast), I am leaning towards the transmission mount. Anyone have pictures of a diagram of where I might find said mounts to see if the bushings look trashed?

That is the sound a bad U joint makes. Or carrier bearing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived