LegacyGT.com

Where to tap in for gauges?

I recently picked up Defi White Racer electric boost and oil pressure gauges and a Block8Head vent pod. I also have been slowly collecting assorted stage 1 parts, but I'd like to get the gauges in first just for a bone stock baseline. Not that it matters for more than my curiosity, but that's always how I've done it. I'm a creature of habit. I've always put my own gauges in my vehicles, probably a dozen at this point but those were vehicles that I was intimately familiar with. This car... not so much.

I did a search, and it seems that everyone here wanted to either see where other people put their gauges, find out what gauges were important or what brand was good. Yet somehow, they all seemed to already know the best place to go through the firewall and where to hook them up. Or did everyone here either figure it out on their own or pay someone else? I'd really rather not, as the actual instal is something I've always found pretty easy, as long as you know where to put the sensors... which I don't on this one. Can anyone tip me in the right direction?

Boost you should tee the signal line off the small hose on the BPV. For oil pressure I used the gallery location where the stock low pressure switch is located (under the alternator). Probably not my first choice, but the previous owner removed the switch and had a pressure gauge already tapped in there.

I then bundled the oil pressure and boost signal line into some electrical conduit and ran it into the driver's side wheel well. Once through there you can run through the door harness grommet and you will pop into the interior of the car right by the driver's side fuse box. Power, ground, and illumination can very easily be found in that area.

I also have the defrost vent pod. From the fuse box it becomes very easy to run the wire up the dash, drill a small hole in the inner dash defrost vent, and pop the wires up to where the gauges will be mounted.

dont T off the BPV line, T off of the Map line, the Map line is where the ECU reads psi from,

as for oil pressure use the galley plug under the tmic.

This is where I currently have it, but I'm about to move it. Reason is, MAP line is more important for the ECU then some other lines, thus you don't want to introduce possible vacuum leak points and resonance from longer lines.

BPV is a good one, but also bad if you get a vacuum leak, no BPV = turbo surges and dies.

I'm about to move my mechanical boost gauge to the FPR nipple on runner 4, since my FPR is now teed into the BPV line.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived