LegacyGT.com

Cobb OTS map safety

jonah_ow

Hello everyone,

I recently put a catless uppipe and catted downpipe on my 05 LGT wagon, and I am loving it. I loaded on the Cobb Stage 2 91 octane tune (I run 93 for a margin of safety) and the car is running wonderfully. My question is coming from what others are saying. As soon as I mention that I am on an OTS map, they immediately begin yelling at me that I need to go out and spend $500 on a dyno tune when all I have is exhaust for power modifications.

So what is the deal here? Am I going to blow my car sky high just becaue I am not running a protune? The car is very happy. It runs slightly rich but it is my understanding that that is a good thing for keeping everything safe. I am curious to get some input from people who have extensive experience with tuning these Legacy's, and not people who bought them 9 months ago and think they are seasoned experts.

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I put this into the correct section, if not please move it where it should go!

Datalogging would probably be the best quickly-available method for you to assess how well your car is running on the OTS map. Some cars run well, others not so much. If your car runs smoothly in part-throttle, pulls strongly at WOT, is hitting boost targets (at least in 3rd and above, you may not hit target in 2nd and probably won't hit target in 1st), isn't registering any FBKC/FLKC/DAM drops, you're probably OK. A protune can usually get you some additional gains over a one-size-fits-all OTS map, of course at additional expense.

I usually datalog the parameters listed below, and for WOT pulls I usually do 3rd or 4th, 2k-6k+ as conditions 'permit'. 3rd is safer for your driver license if you plan on logging above 5k rpm, b/c in 4th you'll be going a wee bit fast :)

If your AP is running newer firmware, you should have no trouble getting 10-12 samples/sec while logging this many parameters.

A/F Sensor 1 Ratio (AFR)

AF Learning #1A (check this and B, C, D using the AP live display, don't need to log them)

Boost

Calculated Load

Dynamic Advance Multiplier

Feedback Knock

Fine Knock Learning

Gear Position

Knock Sum

Ignition Timing

Inj Duty Cycle

Intake Air Temp

MAF Voltage

RPM

TD Boost Error

Throttle Position

Wastegate Duty Cycle

It may differ from car to car, but, i highly doubt it that it will blow your engine up. Cobb's OTS maps are made to be on the safe side.

When i went to stage 2 with cobb's ots map, my vehicle over boosted like crazy, hit the fuel cut and had the triple lights on the dash. This happened every time i would drive the car. Resetting the ECU became such a bother.

If your car is "happy" with the OTS map, then enjoy it for a while. I would still suggest getting it pro-tuned when your ready to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
Absolutely. I think most of what people are saying comes from a warped view of what they need out of a tune. They have heard nothing but tuners and keyboard warriors shoving protunes down their throats. I definitely want one, but I think it is somewhat of a waste on such a lightly modified car. I will get one when I exceed the recommended modifications on the Cobb website.

Your in NH, contact my Tuner www.tuningalliance.com he uses the dyno at ESP in Sterling MA. He's the one person you want tuning your car.

You will be fine on the Cobb AP stage 2 map. It's made for your MODs.

Any damage is already done if the car was on the stock map for all those years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The car was indeed bone stock until January 2015.

When I begin to modify the car beyond the parameters of the Cobb AP, I will absolutely give your tuner a ring! I have been on the fence about where to go, as different tuners tend to like to push cars hard, whereas I want a daily driver with fast spool, good fuel economy and overall longevity. Nothing crazy.

Archived