LegacyGT.com

AEM Cold Air Intake, Any ideas how to get cold air to the intake?

Interesting... The general stigma of intakes (at least on this forum) has been 1) Waste of money/poor value for a performance mod, unless 2) you've gone for at least Stg3/300+whp. GS is showing substantial gains on a Stg2 tune. Interesting indeed..

The stigma was there because the aftermarket intakes were poorly engineered, copy and paste from other cars. Our stock intake is actually very well engineered but that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved on. GrimmSpeed retained some of the things that the stock intake has (premaf window for more linear flow) and made it a CAI (gets air from fenderwell).

Now some will say stock intake is a "CAI", when really it's not. It gets iair from front of the car, but the hood covers up the snorkel thus it only gets cold outside air if your moving fast enough, otherwise your sucking in hot engine bay air.

Another thing to consider with chassis dynos; most dyno testing is done with hood open. Hood open means cold air is being provided to the stock intake without any restrictions (no hood in the way). Best way to test this is keep the hood closed during the dyno pulls, or doing consistent back to back street logs and then using Virtual Dyno.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 2 months later...
Now I can understand on other Subies but from what I understand, The 2005 Legacy GT has a stock STI that runs more superb than the AEM CAI or the GS CAI. Correct me on this

A stock STI?

GS also has straight pipe and air straightener before the maf where the other has no straightener and bends before the maf.

I jumped on the GB as well. AEM didn't do much but set off CELS from rain going in the scoop and into the filter getting the maf wet. Went to Blitz style shortly after.

A stock STI?

GS also has straight pipe and air straightener before the maf where the other has no straightener and bends before the maf.

I jumped on the GB as well. AEM didn't do much but set off CELS from rain going in the scoop and into the filter getting the maf wet. Went to Blitz style shortly after.

Not sure if that was me or spell check, Haha. I meant CAI, not STI.

I learned from other Legacy owners that our year (2005) has a very good stock CAI. I guess other years did not have CAI's? I did some research and found out that the AEM was just junk compared to the stock one.

Now can you tell me how the GB is better please? Thank you

I learned from other Legacy owners that our year (2005) has a very good stock CAI. I guess other years did not have CAI's? I did some research and found out that the AEM was just junk compared to the stock one.

All legacy gt and obxt from 05-09 use the same stock intake.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

AEM sounded nice when you part throttle it and wot. It was quiet compared to my Blitz and the turbo howl was more pronounced echoing down that long tube into the fender.

Sent from my iFail using Tapatalk App

I have an AEM - it's actually great; sounds awesome when on the throttle without being obnoxious and helped to maximize my Stg3 tune at EFI. That said, our stock intake is generally excellent up until ~300whp, at which point, becomes a point of restriction.

Based on the documentation from Grimmspeed, their intake may be beneficial even in cars with Stg2 mods. I went with the GS intake because its hybrid design (CAI-SRI) is better suited for the type of driving that I do, and since I'm pretty much done with my major power mods, the GS intake may provide an additional, small bump in power.

Archived