LegacyGT.com

Extended Warranty / Reliability Issues

Did you get an extended warranty with your new Legacy?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get an extended warranty with your new Legacy?

How reliable is Subaru? Specifically the Legacy. Consumer reports rates it as average and that's fine with me, but the nasioc forums are full of all kinds of problems from paint to interior bits falling off which is a bit worrying. Also, how many of you got the extended warranty? And how much is it? I usually never buy the extended warranty, but I might in this case since, if I do decide to get, I'll buy it and drive it into the ground.

Most people who get them never need them. Generally if anything shows up, it's within the first 5000 or so miles, generally less, and generally little things. If there was anything major, generally they cover it for longer, like head gaskets on MY99-MY02 2.5L SOHC N/A engines. Those components and associating parts are covered for longer as they found some are more prone to defect and they are covering them. We have 3 Subarus in that time period, one had the issue and was fixed within a day, no questions asked. They were excellent about it. I forsee no major issue whatsoever that will require one to need the extended warranty. But if it makes you feel good, then by all means, get it.

I just ordered my GT with the 6year/100,000 mile warranty even though I fix my own cars. I don't have any experience with Subaru so I am unsure on it's reliability. However with all these computerized systems nowadays a simple problem can get expensive to fix real fast. I paid $1700 extra for it. The salesman said that the turbo cars warranty plan is $200 more then the N/A cars - not sure if this is true or not.

I agree, I will wait until the 3rd year to get an extended warranty. FWIW, warrantydirect.com offers a very good warranty, and they are very legit. Only drawback is sometimes the repair shop wont take their voucher or whatever, so you have to pay up front, then ge\t reimbursed by warranty company. I did this a while back with a toyota pickup, and it was a breeze. Very good company to deal with, at least in my exp. Not sure though who has the best warranty. I will wait until mile 35999 or year 2 and 364 days before finding out. BUt for me, I always get the warranty for peace of mind. It is also a very good selling point if ya wanna sell your 2.5 GT and get the 2007 Legacy 3.5 GT STi with 400 hp :)

I won't buy an extended warranty plan when I sign the paper, since it can be bought at any subaru dealer (you do NOT have to buy it from the same dealer where you get your car!), and the price can be negotiated if you are patient. In fact, 2 yrs ago I got the 6yr/80K gold plus plan w/ $0-deductible for $884 when the MSRP was $1368. That was 8 hours before the 3/36 expired. My advice is to wait until you know you are keeping it for longer than 3yrs. There is no need to rush. Keep your money in the bank and earn little bit interests, instead of handing it over to some greedy and happy sales manager right away.

This Space For Rent

gt_ltd makes a good point about when to buy. And definitely, the ext warranty has a cost and a profit, and you can negotiate big time. Folks sometimes forget this in the finance office with the excitment of the new car and the exhaustion of the negotiation on the car price. Better yet, simply do NOT buy the warranty, no matter what (any honest salesperson or manager or F and I person should and will tell you this - if they dont, you have been warned right here). Why buy a warranty on a car that HAS one? One caveat is that the warranty may, or will, cost more 3 years down the road. But keeping your money for that 3 years should negate any savings. And, as I mentioned above, warrantydirect.com has some excellent warranties that may be comprable in price to SOA. BTW, if you work for a dealer and feel like flaming me, I am ok with that. There a lots of dealers who are dead honest and make lotsa $$$ by being honest and therefore generating repeat and referred business becuase of that honesty. One comment about " some greedy sales manager", and BTW I agree with the essence of the comment. Having been on both sides of the car selling game ( I sold Mazdas and MErcedes in the '80s), there are nasty sales managers, and good ones too, just as there are nasty car buyers (and nasty leg owners) and good ones too. I dont think that animosity between buyers and sellers will ever go away, but I want to throw out there, for those who are about to go car shopping, to go to the dealer with a good attitude (proverb says ya find what you are looking for). If the dealer sucks, go to another, there are plenty of good ones, you spent nothing. If the dealer is a good one, you will not have muddied the waters from the get go with a less than stellar attitude. You actually can have a pleasing experience buying you car. Just an FWIW from a bored programmer at work staring at the wall on a Monday a.m. for a while and writing random nonsense for the entertainment of a few.. forgive me ;)

Feelings on extended warranties are broad. devobuzz just bought a warranty that is basically a 1 year 50K extension on the factory powertrain warranty. Lets face it, the powertrain itself is the Heart of the car. Powertrain would include the turbo and anything connected to the engine. This is all warrantied to 5 yrs/60K miles. My feelings are....if it doesn't break before the 3 yr 36K mile warranty, its NOT a defect in materials and workmanship.....we as the owner probably had something to do about something failing after that period of time. If not, it's most likely a wear item. I am also a wrencher myself, but just like devo, have no experience with Subies. Then again, these days if something breaks on my new truck (what I do have experience with) I'm more likely today to take it to a qualified truck shop and let them do it. And because I have a business,......I'll write it off on April 15th! So, for $1700 or $1900, I'll likely gamble that the car will be fine for that extra year of gap (we don't put the miles on like some do). Plus, I've heard good and bad experiences about extended warranties. Of course we hear more about the bad, but bad news always travels faster!

Well the warranty is bumper to bumper which includes the drivetrain and everything else. It is the everything else I'm worried about : AC, power motors (window, sunroof, etc), electrical (ECM, ABS, etc), power steering, alternator, water pump - you get the idea. All these items are only covered 3/ 36,000, so I think the 6 / 100K is worth it. It's like buying insurance - you gamble that you won't need it but if you do it pays for itself. Everyone has to make a decision that they're comfortable with...

• 3 months later...
[quote name='devobuzz']I just ordered my GT with the 6year/100,000 mile warranty even though I fix my own cars. I don't have any experience with Subaru so I am unsure on it's reliability. However with all these computerized systems nowadays a simple problem can get expensive to fix real fast. I paid $1700 extra for it. The salesman said that the turbo cars warranty plan is $200 more then the N/A cars - not sure if this is true or not.[/QUOTE] The standard powertrain warranty which includes the turbocharger assembly is 5 years / 60,000 miles. You're paying $1,700 for an extra 12 months and forty thousand miles. Ask yourself a couple of questions: Am I buying the extended warranty because I'm worried about the drivetrain? How many miles will I be driving? I was quoted an extra $250 for turbo warranties. Remember, the dealer can ask whatever he wants. Cancel the extended warranty and buy a case of Mobil 1.

Archived