LegacyGT.com

scary rattling NOISE ... plz help

hey everyone.... .

i fixed the car now its in top shape but i have i hope not a huge problem....

car makes a terrible sort of rattling, growling sounds ... i think around first or seccond gear 1200 rpm? if i go faster or slower than that there is no sound....

i am really worried abut that... i fixed the car with new front belt and tensioner that was making sounds, and i though this growling noise was also coming from there but its not. :spin::spin: :eek::confused::confused::confused::confused:

is it the gear box or what is it anyone knows? and has a solution? .... is it verry bad?

Timing belt tensioners?

http://s16.postimg.org/zer2724hh/Untitled.png

they replaced this part NUMBER 2 on the picture.... this noise was before the replacement and after... so im guessing sounds are coming out of somewhere else :spin:

when they replaced this little round part screaming sounds stopped and there was no sound anymore from that area when car is standing or driving ...its just this noise is left now coming of i have no idea where

you need to do some troubleshooting by using common sense:

Is the noise present at idle standing still?

Does it change with rpms? yes? then its possibly a vibration ie heat shield etc

Is it constant through rpm range but the pitch changes? then its engine related - could be belts, pulleys, internals, etc

No noise at idle but present moving in gear in all gears? Could be drivetrain - wheel bearings, CV's, Tires, shafts, diffs, clutch pack, fw, etc.

Noise only in second gear - its subaru whine, go back to sleep!

Is it constant through rpm range but the pitch changes? then its engine related - could be belts, pulleys, internals, etc

No noise at idle but present moving in gear in all gears? Could be drivetrain - wheel bearings, CV's, Tires, shafts, diffs, clutch pack, fw, etc.

hope its the last one :D anyways problem is that i cant exactly check when its happening whenever i hear its when im driving really really slowly maybe uphill.... not sure if its 1st gear or second too because gears change so smoothly :D

there is no noise when car is just standing and engine is on...

sometimes at the same rpm or whenever same situation there is no noise.. not sure if there is this sound when im driving really fast i cant hear anything then just the engine sound.

anyways im trying to figure out how to check when this is actually happening

Timing belt tensioners?

H6 3.0 so no timing belt, only timing chain.

Presume this is the 6 speed manual trans? If so, you shouldn't hear anything from the trans - they're pressure-lubed and solid as the day is long. That said, if you are getting rattling/growling gear noise, then it's possible you have a lube issue in the transmission, and need to focus some attention on the trans.

Does it change under load, or while decelerating?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Presume this is the 6 speed manual trans? If so, you shouldn't hear anything from the trans - they're pressure-lubed and solid as the day is long. That said, if you are getting rattling/growling gear noise, then it's possible you have a lube issue in the transmission, and need to focus some attention on the trans.

its automatic,(tiptronic) 5speed... im 98%sure... h6 b4 engine 3.0 ... inside it has a chain and outside its that single huge belt that spins everything.... like on that picture above...

transmission oil is at normal, it has been like that for a long time never have actually changed it..... sound is well i can hear it only when its under a load i guess uphill like driving 15kmph not sure about other times :spin:

Thank you for that bit of info. I just wasn't sure if it was chain or belt, and all the other issues i read about on the belt tensioners anyway.

U have 112k miles on it??? or close, can't remember exactly. I recommend looking up the maintenance intervals on your car and do what has not been done. Maybe flush tranny and rear diff. Refill with Scotty's tranny cocktail. maybe replace the belt idler, part #5 in your diagram.

U have 112k miles on it??? maybe replace the belt idler, part #5 in your diagram.

car has 104'000 km on it thats ...64'622 miles? :confused:

part N5 wasnt making any sounds so they left it like that... belt was fine they said it will wear off in about half a year so i left it on

• 1 month later...

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1kQjpfxl4PX

I could record it only like this... enhanced the audio in the middle. its really bad recording i had to open the door and hold the phone under the car :D

Anyway when i hit the gas at 1500rpm FIRST gear or Reverse sometimes... THis sound appears and i think its getting worse and worse

]

Archived