LegacyGT.com

GT Spec Headers vs. Up and Crossover Pipe

A friend has offered to sell me a set of ceramic coated, GT Spec UEL headers along with its up pipe for a very reasonable price. I've been pretty adamant about sticking with the stock manifold given its durability, since my baby is my only means of conveyance (daily driver). I've also read that aftermarket headers may actually slow spool time, although opinions seemed mixed.

My original plan was to grab a catless uppipe to pair with my Invidia downpipe, throw on a catless crossover pipe, and finish* up with a tune. The header is being offered to me at a similar price to this option, so cost is not really a factor. Given my daily driver use, should I stick with my original plan or will the ceramic coated headers hold up enough while giving me some extra gains?

* Let's be honest, I will certainly find something else that I want to improve. Modding is the Pringles of my Legacy ownership: Once you pop, the fun don't stop.

Its a DD, stay stock with a catless up pipe, get a good tune and be happy. My wagon has the stock exhaust manifold, catless up/dn at 21psi. That's plenty in these cars for a DD.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Agreed. The only other alternative that makes good power (v-a-v headers) is P&P manifolds, combined with a larger COP (which does not contain a cat BTW) and adding a high flow UP. Grimmspeed offers this combination.

I had this setup on mine and it definitely moved the turbo tip-in to the left and provided much, much better throttle response vs the stock setup.

Plus you get to keep the cast iron manifold, which is really good for heat retention. Headers, most often lose this benefit..

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived