LegacyGT.com

Boostcreep's 05 OBXT Rally car build

Hey guys! I have been asked to start a thread about this car that I am building so here goes...

The car is a 2005 OBXT 5spd w/ 191000 kms ( http://www.mysubie.com/vehicle?id=4157 )

I have had this car for about 6 years now and just had it up for sale ( I own 4 vehicles and was downsizing ) not that I wanted to sell it but the minister of finance said to lose a car. I had the thing out at the end of the driveway for sale for about 4 days and I could not take it any longer! I truly love this car, it has never let me down and always put a smile on my face whenever I drove it.

So I called up my buddy who had mentioned to that he would love to do the Targa Newfoundland rally race and agreed to come on board as my partner and co-driver. If you have never heard of this race, then here is a link.

http://www.targanewfoundland.com/index.php/en/

The event has been coined "the Ironman of Motorsports" and the race is about 1600kms of tarmac road rally over 6 days, right here in my home province of Newfoundland in Canada. We are very excited about this build and racing the event in 2016 but we have a lot of work to do in the meantime..

So the plan is to strip the car of any unnecessary weight, of which we have a good start on, race the car on weekends until fall of this year when it will come off the road and be fitted with a rollcage and other essential gear for Targa Newfoundland 2016.

In it's present state it has the following mods:

Engine

Drivetrain

Suspension

Brakes

Wheels/Tires

I will post some pics, updates along the way and try to answer any questions that you guys may have along the way.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/10/e1346005959d6afecc6ee6cb1574ca17.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/10/a44fa63a2341b165803a25e5ce011280.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/10/fc39da331307c2e23bc9bf09f20f3907.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

You may want to look into a short throw shifter and possible Moore Performance Blast Plates. I have the Blast Plates and enjoy them every time I shift my car. The tranny no longer fights me going into 3rd gear or any other gear at any RPM.

You may want a bigger radiator too. PM Underdog, he can get you good prices on things you'll need.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Cheers Max and thanks for the leads! I know we are possibly heading into uncharted territory with this build but we are excited and confident that this car will perform well and be very competive at the same time. The 05-09 OBXT shares so much in common with the 08-13 WRX, gotta love the lego block mentality of Subaru..

The idea behind this car is to keep it as stock looking as possible with very little advertising and decals for the big event. Sleeper mode if you will.. We want it to look like a mommy mobile entered a hot rally stage as it chases down Porsche's, Ferrari's and of course v8 miata's.

We have a whack more parts for the car already that are not listed in the mods I posted earlier. As well as a lot of parts yet to order.. Thanks for the blast plate idea! First I ever heard of them.

This should get interesting and we are both very excited to compete in the event.

Cheers and stay tuned folks

Mod list looks good other than the V1 Accessport... its no longer supported by cobb, or any tuner for that matter so you should look into a v2 or v3 and a solid tune for all the other mods you have. Look up Bren Tuning he does an awesome job with etune. Best of luck in the race!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Cheers man! I bought that old Cobb V1 for 80 bucks as a cheap hp / trq boost on my then DD. The plan is to get a proper tune before we race. Those mods are just what I had on the car previous to deciding to race it. Thanks for the lead w/ Bren Tuning. :)

Cheers man! I bought that old Cobb V1 for 80 bucks as a cheap hp / trq boost on my then DD. The plan is to get a proper tune before we race. Those mods are just what I had on the car previous to deciding to race it. Thanks for the lead w/ Bren Tuning. :)

No prob! Ive had a tune from Bren For over 50k miles with no worries so i highly recommend him. keep us updated on your progress! Love to see how it turns out. Cheers!

Mike

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Great to see another wagon racer!

I'll be happy to to help any way I can short of flying to Newfoundland.

First two questions which govern every future decision:

What is your budget?

What class are you prepping to enter?

Good Luck!

Sgt.Gator

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

We are going to be entering Targa Newfoundland in the Modern division. The entrance fee is $8000, We have 12 grand for modifications and will need about 2 grand each for racing apparell and safety gear. Plus hotels, gas, food, incedentals, etc.. This is not cheap by any means but it is a bucklist item that will be crossed off and enjoyed to the fullest no doubt.

I have read your thread about your racing wagon.. Inspirational!! Very nice ride my friend!

The cage will eat up a lot of the budget. Do the rules require a fuel cell?

You'll need an in car communications system between driver and navigator.

I'll have a look at your rules for that class this weekend.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

The cage will eat up a lot of the budget. Do the rules require a fuel cell?

You'll need an in car communications system between driver and navigator.

I'll have a look at your rules for that class this weekend.

Here is a link to the rules and regulations Sgt.

http://www.targanewfoundland.com/attachments/article/7/Volume%202%20Combined%20Rules%20and%20Regulations.pdf

Sourcing a cage seems like our biggest hurdle at this time. Going to contact Autopower soon to see if they can accommodate. Only 14 months until D-day, so we have some work ahead of us!

Here is a link to the rules and regulations Sgt.

http://www.targanewfoundland.com/attachments/article/7/Volume%202%20Combined%20Rules%20and%20Regulations.pdf

Sourcing a cage seems like our biggest hurdle at this time. Going to contact Autopower soon to see if they can accommodate. Only 14 months until D-day, so we have some work ahead of us!

You might want to call around to local shops and ask about custom cages. You can always use pictures & measurements from Sgt.Gator's cage to get you started. His is over-built, however, not built for rally.

Archived