LegacyGT.com

Delay when turning key to Start

Hey folks,

Sometimes there is a delay between turning the key to the START position and the starting firing off. Delay might last a second or two before the starter engages.

Should I be worried? Perhaps the ignition switch going bad?

Thanks!

Differentially sounds like a connection problem if the battery is fine. Could be the starter contacts or a battery connection. Start off with the easy to get connections, cleaning and making sure they are tight then if it's still troubling you, I'd pull the starter and check the solenoid contacts.

My battery ground clamp was corroded AND loose and it did the same thing yours is doing. Would start right away sometimes other times be delayed. All electronics in the car still worked though, it just didn't have sufficient ground contact to juice the starter.

• 3 months later...

I cleaned the starter terminals & cables back in July. To be honest, they weren't that dirty or corroded, but the problem seemed to get batter. Battery terminals had been cleaned too.

However, the delay is back - this morning it took over 4 seconds before the starter kicked in. I'm starting to worry I might get stranded one day...

One of the first things I did was replace my battery cables in my 2nd gen when I bought it about 2 years ago. I had the same issue with the delay in cranking, and replacing the cables themselves made a huge difference! I never had another issue with it again after that.

I think it cost about $20 for the parts, and took about 15 minutes to do, and was well worth it!

I'm interested in this thread cause I have the same problem, but was actually left stranded this morning. Went to coffee shop, came back after being in there about 10 minutes and nothing. No noise at all, no clicking or anything, but all electrical stuff works fine. Went back after a few hours, and while there was about a 1sec delay, it did start.

been trying to figure this one out for a while. Other thoughts? maybe I'll try the battery cable idea.

I experienced that same problem on an old subie and it was the contacts pressed on the cable between battery and starter that had oxidized in the pressing at the starter motor.

A new cable solved the problem.

But the ignition lock, start interlock or starter may also be the culprit.

453747.png

it could also be the contacts in the starter solenoid.

they may be old and charred.

turn to start, nothing.

hold the key at start and the circuit finally warms up and kicks in.

but the number one leading cause of a no start,

bad battery connections,

loose, dirty, corroded, terminal posts,

or just bad cable ends.

after all,

our second gen cars are all 15 - 20 years old.

Archived