LegacyGT.com

Third brake light cover

laz

My car came equipped with the OEM spoiler and also the interior third brake light. I like to get rid of the third brake light but does anyone know if Subaru makes a third brake light cover that covers the hole left by the third brake light? I have been able to buy this piece for other cars, but every on line place that I look for this cover I can't seem to find it. Should I just ask the parts person at the dealership?

Just figured I ask you guys since I won't be heading to the delaership till next week, and regardless it may be cheaper on line.

Thanks,

X

---

What, no SEARCH? ------->

http://premium1.uploadit.org/cultofthejedi//DOTPicsu_gon_get_raped.jpg

*image courtesy of jedimaster's string of recent posts! :lol:

----

So far:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15461&highlight=brake+light+cover

:(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Hey, I have searched this forum high and low and even inquired with on-line dealerships and no dice. So maybe your searching skills are greater than mine?! :D But it is stupid that Subaru supplying an OEM apoiler would not think of this! This is one of my greastest Petpeeves, to have two third brake lights, I really hate it when I see it on cars, and now I am one riding around with it, and yes I know I should take off the light bulb, but I've had no chance to do it yet.

Anyway thanks, but the "You Gonna Get Raped" image IMHO does not really reflect the spirit of "Searching". I think you guys can do better. :rolleyes:

X

---

My car came equipped with the OEM spoiler and also the interior third brake light. I like to get rid of the third brake light but does anyone know if Subaru makes a third brake light cover that covers the hole left by the third brake light? I have been able to buy this piece for other cars, but every on line place that I look for this cover I can't seem to find it. Should I just ask the parts person at the dealership?

Just figured I ask you guys since I won't be heading to the delaership till next week, and regardless it may be cheaper on line.

Thanks,

X

Some peoples kids... :lol:

Anyways, I wondered the samething. There is a thread on this, and the overwhelming response was to remove the light bulb. As far as I recall and know, there is no cover for the light. Otherwise, I think they would have done it in the factory, or maybe that's just a pipe dream. :D

laz - Take it easy, bro, note (1) my smileys and (2) that I did try a search for you. :)

The search engine here isn't stellar - it works, but you sorta have to know what you're looking for...or else you have to be able to read really fast like me, :lol:, in order to scan through all the irrelevant posts/threads for a good hit.

The problem is simply that our search engine does not allow the "and" logic operator. If you tried the search using my terms: "brake+light+cover," the entry that I linked is some 15 links down on the list. Not too cool. :(

----

I've found jedi's "You Gonna Get Raped" picture quite funny in this application of "What, no search?" He's posted this about a dozen or so times over the last 48 hours, and I can't help but laugh every time I see it.

Each time, it also reminds me of the latest "King of Queens" episode, when Doug asks his friend: "Don't you ever get tired of being a cultural stereotype?"

:lol:

Sorry if I offended you - that was not my intent. I was simply trying to help. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ :lol: 'Cause I can't add?!?!

I blame the public school system of the '80s.

TSi+WRX no offense taken man! I was just trying to come back with a witty response. But anyway, believe me, this board is probably the most serious that I have been in, and all you guys are cool. And I always search no matter what. I think I have read so many old posts that it is crazy, but I have learned some good info. Hopefully I can contribute some as well at some point.

But yes it bothers me so much that Subaru does not have a solution for this. And I just heard back from subarupartsforyou.com and they say no go, so it is official.

I went to my Nissan dealer for the Altima and they had one, just had to order it, so Subaru is missing some serious planning, since it comes with a spoiler to begin with, and this is supposed to be a luxury car! I mean the IS300 has a totally different decklid for the cars with spoilers, at least make a cover for it!

Enough of a rant, now most likely I will go out and make a custom one myself.

X :D

---

Anyways, this seems like a case of Subaru cost cutting again. Having the deck light and the spoiler light is superfluious, but it never hurts to have another light back there when some mom with five kids in her car, talking on her cell phone, driving her 2 ton SUV 10 feet off your back bumper at 80 mph and might not notice traffic is slowing up ahead...........

You will likely rarely see a company offering options to delete safety equipment. Though, I think the spoiler is a dealer option, so they have to make the car work both ways. IMO anyways...

laz: NP - I see where you were goin'. :) Best of luck on your retrofit/custom-fab. :)

So today after installing my new mudguards I decided that it was time to unplug the third brake light. First of all removing the third brake light cover was really hard, harder thatn any other cars since the clip is hard plastic, and it is dificult to bend over the metal. I finally got it off to discover that the light is permanently attached to the cover! Is this possible? I took out the car's manual and looked in the changing lightbulbs section, and nowhere was the third brake light bulb covered. So, does this mean the third brake light is a LED or something like that which Subaru does not expect for it to burn for the life of the car?

I guess my only option is to cut the wires, but I will try to look into it further since I ran out of time today. The mudguards rock, and tint on the windows is going to be installed soon.

X

---

• 2 weeks later...

laz,

There's a section in the Vacation Pix that deal with removal of the rear brake-light assembly, and actually, if I remember correctly, they do address bulb replacement in the manual, strangely for this piece, in great detail - however, and this is most strange, I'm not sure if the bulb application has been listed, so you'll need to check the "stickied" bulb-guide for reference. :)

There's also some speculation among members, in past posts, that removal of the rear bulb could cause a dashboard idiot-light warning. I am uncertain if this speculation was ever confirmed.

Thank you TSi+WRX. I have the vacation pix so I should go look at them more closely. I ran out of time last I tried, so I will give it another try. I also got my tints, so the light is not as bright anymore, but talk about overengineering something trivial!

X

---

laz - NP. :) I'll see if I can dig up the page-numbers, too. :)

Careful, that's a safety feature you are removing, whatever next ? Disabling your DRL's ?????

(Disclaimer: the above statement was written with a touch of sarcasm relating to the ongoing discussion of DRL disabling, and no offence was intended whatsoever. Also, no animals were harmed during the writing of the above post)

:rolleyes:

^^^ lol, but I already have a third brake light on my OEM spoiler, why two?? Two be extra safe????? Anyway, I only need one up there, and the one behind the glass is already half blocked by the spoiler.

X

---

Ahhhhh, but you also have 2 DRL. Coincidence ? I think not !

So do they make DRL covers?? :lol::dm: Think NOT!

damn SUBARU!! lol

But seriously, they should have thought about this, and not make it so damn hard!!!

X

---

Also, no animals were harmed during the writing of the above post)

:rolleyes:

:lol:

Yeah, no animals were harmed, but I'd bet that several million electrons are screaming for their lives! :lol:

Archived