LegacyGT.com

Possible transmission problem?

Wookiee Fury

We did a timing belt/water pump/thermostat change today and after we finished, we went for a test drive. The car is now making a whining/whirring noise most notably in 4th and 5th. The sound is present in decel in gear and neutral. The sound changes while shifting from 4th to 5th. i do not notice during other changes. The noise is present while cruising, but pretty quiet. Fluid was changed around 20k miles ago when i had the clutch/flywheel changed. Thoughts?

I took it to the dealer. They said the whine and slight rubbing sound into 5th were normal for a car with 136000 miles. I'm going to do the transmission and rear diff oil this weekend. Dealer wants $15 a qt for extra s though.

PM Underdog and see if he can get you Motul 300 75-90 for a few dollars more. It's much better then the new Extra-S.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Anyone here use GM Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid?

I have heard of a lot of Mazdaspeed 6 and Honda guys running it, and that it really helps with grinding on engagement...

The earlier Honda S2000 (my previous car) trannies grind a lot on 1-2 shifts w/high load and the Mazdaspeed 6 tranny is apparently well known for its rough engagements.

google, uncle Scotty's cocktail. That's what you want to use.

See if that will help.

The other cocktail is 3 qt's redline lightweight shockproof an .8 qt Motul 300.

www.AZPinstalls.com likes straight Motul 300.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I tried straight 300 this weekend. Shifting is smoother, but I'm still getting the whine and grind. Maybe it needs to break in?

The whine is normal in 5mt's. May be its time for scyhcro's to fix your grind

A little, I have gotten used to it. The wagon is much louder than my Spec B.

The junk yard tranny was gone through by my tranny guy, he replaced a few bearings, but the tranny still has a little whine in 4th and 5th. The old tranny did also.

Hind sight 20/20 I should have don't the 6mt swap years ago.

Archived