LegacyGT.com

Auto Climate Control Problem! Please Help!

This forum has been a tremendous help for a lot of my issues, but I am having an issue now, that I can't seem to track down a solution too.

I have an '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5i. It is equipped with the Dual Zone Climate control and CD changer in the dash. About a year ago the I started having an issue with the Climate control not turning on SOMETIMES! The CD/Radio work fine, but the Climate Control, intermittently, will not turn on at all when I turn on the car. When it does not work, the blower is open I guess and puts out hot air. I'm guessing this is just heat from the engine bay.

When it does turn on the A/C and Heat work great. When it does work, and I turn off the car and then turn it on again, it remembers what temperature I had it set at, before turning it off. Otherwise it always resets to 75 degrees when it doesn't work, then finally works again.

I have checked the fuses, A/C relays, and Fan relays under the hood and under the steering wheel dash, by individually connecting the battery and a multi-meter to check resistance and listen for the "clicking" sound of the relay. All of them checked out "good".

The only constant, and most annoying, factor I can find is it will not work when the outside temperature is below 40 degrees, or when it's hotter than about 80 degrees. You can see why this is annoying, because these are of course the only times I want to use my A/C or Heat.

Any help would be appreciated, or suggestions where to find a post that already has this issue.

A climate control that only works when the ambient temps are comfortable anyways? Talk about annoying!

Good work checking all the relays and such. I'm no super familiar with the climate control electrical bits, but I would say the CC would still probably work despite a bad A/C relay, or fan relay etc... My next step would be pulling the unit out, and locating the harnesses attached to the CC unit. I'll bet, somewhere on here is an electrical diagram of the harness pin-out, and what wires do what. It seems like you're getting cut form power, so I would find what wires supply power, and make sure they're doing so when they need to.

If that all checks out okay, I would look into seeing if there is some type of thermal overload circuit on the CC unit. If Subaru put one in there, and it's malfunctioning, it could be cutting power to the CC unit to avoid overheating(even if its not actually overheating).

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just wanted to avoid the hassle of pulling the unit out if it could be avoided. If you know what I mean! I will definitely be looking for a wire diagram for the harness in back. Any guidance in that category would help as well.

May not be related but i had a similar issue though not the same, with mine the clock and aircon would not work and the display would not light up. The solution was to push the ignition key in more firmly - in fact if i just push on the end of the key after the car has started the clock and aircon come to life. In this case its obviously a dodgy connection in the key tumbler,

Solved my issue. Took dash apart and started testing voltages/ground wires in the harnesses. Turns out, two ground wires in the harness going to the A/C contol box, weren't getting a good ground. That little box is attached to the side of the A/C blower motor underneath the glove compartment. It has two harnesses going into it. The smaller 16 wire harness has two ground wires in position 15 and 16 that tested 0 ohms when I knew the AC was

• 3 years later...
...Not working. Cut those wires and wired them to a known good ground.

Hello!

For about a year I’m havin same problem as drc280.

I can’t tell how happy am I to came across this thread.

I know how to get to the wire harness underneath glove compartment.

I’m having problem with

...Cut those wires and wired them to a known good ground.

I don’t know where to wire those wires to to good known ground?

Please help

• 4 months later...
Hello!

For about a year I’m havin same problem as drc280.

I can’t tell how happy am I to came across this thread.

I know how to get to the wire harness underneath glove compartment.

I’m having problem with

I don’t know where to wire those wires to to good known ground?

Please help

Having the same issue also, were you able to locate the wires that need to be cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk