LegacyGT.com

Adding eyesight to 4th gen legacy?

In my travels around the interwebs, I found this on wikipedia...

On May 10, 2008, the Japanese-spec Legacy can be fitted with a new collision avoidance feature, called EyeSight. It consists of twin CCD cameras, one on each side of the rear view mirror, that use human-like stereoscopic vision to judge distances and generally keep tabs on the driver. The system can help maintain a safe distance on the highway, a lane departure warning system, a driver alert warning for various safety situations, and even keeps an eye out for pedestrians.[4][5] SI-Cruise has been integrated into the EyeSight feature as a driver safety aid.

Has anyone attempted to add this to the USDM legacy's?

Once again no and no.

Just get a Subaru with the right hardware.

Just to give you one example you would need a new dash display which means you need a new ecu which means you need new keys. That is just one example of how expensive it would be. And we have not even gotten to the sensors, cameras, logic systems, hardware, etc. :spin:

---

Go watch this video http://www.subaru.com/engineering/eyesight.html

Give you a little insight of how complicated it would be to install.

This is not a "oh let me cut a JDM bumper and put it on a USDM car".

Even putting eyesight on a 6th Gen Legacy that did not come with it is a huge endeavor.

I understand your pioneering spirit, but you are better off using your energy on other better project.

---

A. the worst that could happen would be the system doesn't work. Just like if the car didn't have it...

B. I'm much more interested in the adaptive cruise control.

And then you just wasted who knows how much time, money and energy on something that may or may not benefit you. Just go buy a 2015 Legacy with the feature included

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

You say worst case it doesn't work. Thats not the worst case. Worst case would be it malfunctions due to be installed wrong and it emergency brakes for no reason say cruising at 60. Thats the worst case. Not worth the money, time or risk.

Besides eyesight was not created so you could text your friends while cruzing the freeway.

YOu want to do that, buy a new car that has all that installed.

So it does help for doing that?

The main problem I see with these features is not what happens if it malfunctions, so much as what happens to the driver who becomes used to them. Dependent upon them whether they realize it's happening or not. And of course if it malfunctions, even if it's just to the extent that it stops working for some reason, catastrophic.

The main problem I see with these features is not what happens if it malfunctions, so much as what happens to the driver who becomes used to them. Dependent upon them whether they realize it's happening or not. And of course if it malfunctions, even if it's just to the extent that it stops working for some reason, catastrophic.

B I N G O !!! WHO is going to fix all of this crap when the car is 10 years old and it all begins to fail? AND what will be the cost? There will be a LOT of cars in the junkyard just because of things like this failing and no one being able to afford to fix it. And how about the people that seem to think they are invincible because of these features? When enough of them think they're safe and smash into stuff, perhaps the fallacy of all of these stupid things will come to light.

BMW has a heads up display on one of their cars (can't remember which but I saw it at SEMA last year) and if it fails, the cost is about $16K to fix it and the car will NOT run if it's broken. Great deal on a $150K car at that point for someone. Not for ME, but someone. :lol:

Ill be the Devil's advocate and say that people are already distracted enough that a system like eyesight can only help and not hurt anyone. Look around when you drive and see the amount of people on their phones just not paying attention while they drive.

Who cares 10 years from now. Cars are a depreciating disposable item. :spin:

---

I don't disagree, but I'm not sure that pacifying incompetent people is going to solve anything. I understand the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" philosophy; but concurrently, making it easier for people to be irresponsible won't in turn make them more responsible. I know it makes me a horrible American these days, but I'm not of the opinion that people should be protected from their own stupidity. It just makes them more stupid, and everyone pays for it. I much prefer letting Darwin sort it out. But then, I'm a bit of a misanthropic asshole. Amazing as these technologies are, if I'm to play any devil's advocate it would be to suggest that systems like this are just rewarding these people for what they were already doing wrong.

I'm getting the same vibe from this that I got when ABS and traction control started showing up on sportbikes, and the "zero to hero" phenomenon it made possible. Admittedly, it's amazing that now someone who doesn't have the skill to ride a bare bones 600 at it's full potential can wail on a new 1000 almost like a seasoned racer at the push of a button. Sure, it's "safer". And scary, as IMO, it's just making it easier than ever for people to do something they have no business doing whatsoever. And when it becomes so entrenched in our daily lives that it's no longer an option but the norm, the dumbing down of everyone will commence. Or maybe that ship has sailed. I'm sure some people ranted just like I am now back when seat belts became standard equipment too...

That ship has sailed. I really hate the dumbing down of America. I would rather prefer for everyone getting a license to learn to drive a stick shift first, but that is not happening. Regardless of the politics behind it I really think that eyesight is a marvel of technology and shbarunus doing a great job with it, specially for a sub 40k car.

Now when someone wants to hack together such a complicated system just to say they did is when info a face palm.

---

Archived