LegacyGT.com

Can clogged breather cause rear differential leak?

I have an 05 2.5i with 76K miles and about 2 months ago I started to notice a couple drops of fluid right under the rear differential. I checked the gear lube and it was still full. About a month ago I noticed it still had a small leak, checked it, was a little low so I added some fluid.

This weekend I took a little road trip which was 60 miles round trip. On the way back I started smelling the gear lube in the car. When I got home I checked under the car and there was lube sprayed all over the place, on the diff, the exhaust, where the spare tire sits, and on the passenger side muffler.

Tonight I get under the car and look around. The back side of the diff is completely caked in this shit. The driver side axle is totally dry, and the passenger side axle has a little crude on the back side, and the front side is clean. On top the see the little brown breather is also completely caked in the gunk. I took it out and cleaned it up really good and the area around it. It was fairly low too, I used a little pump that attaches to the bottle and it took 9 pumps to fill it up.

Would this clogged up breather cause the leaks or do I have a seal going bad? My guess it that the extended trip cause it to get really hot in there, build up pressure, and spray the lube out of whatever hole it could escape from. I normally only drive about 10-15 miles a day.

Yes that vent needs to open so the pressure can vent.

I would look for a leak from the front seal on the diff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived