LegacyGT.com

Ignition Switch? Dash warning lights/ Ignition wont shut off!

So, I have this 96 Legacy L. 200K I owned it several years ago and gave it to a very good friend, who now owns it. It has been a pretty reliable car over all, but now has a very strange problem;

When you shut the car off and remove the key, the motor shuts off but the dashboard indicator lights, ignition etc (the things that click under the hood) solenoids etc all stay on as if the key is still in and in the run position.

I flushed it out with WD-40 and lots of black came out... it didnt always "thunk" when you remove the key... steering column lock i believe.

Also, when you turn the key off and remove it, the indicator lamps, (brake check engine etc) all dim a bit but wont go off. We have been disconnecting the battery after shutting it off. The other day, I heard a buzzing noise after removing the key that came from under the dash.

Is this the ignition switch? anything else to check ? thanks!!!!!!!

After pulling my engine out one time a long while ago on my 95, I forgot to connect the various connectors at the bellhousing/engine point. When I tried to start it and shut it off again it did what you describe.

So my thought is open/clean/grease/close those connectors and see if it improves. Unless that is what you meant by WD-40. Then, um....

I also got similar behaviour one time when I tried putting a different ECU in that didn't really belong there. Car ran fine and no codes, but when I got back from around the block it did that same thing.

So it seems like our key off position isn't really an off switch, but more like advice to the ECU to consider maybe please shutting down and if some wiring fault has confused the ECU, then it doesn't follow the advice.

Archived