LegacyGT.com

Dealer tools and special parts

One of my vendors at work is SPX Kent-Moore, the same vendor that the Subaru dealers use to obtain most of their special service tools. I asked the sales account rep if us average Joe Subaru owners could order any of this? He said SPX had no problem with that. Now granted, most of these tools are available much cheaper at NAPA or even you local parts store. However if you cannot find that special Subaru widget anywhere else.

http://subaru.spx.com/index.asp

Could you ask your friend if the Subaru Select Monitor protocols specs is available for free or even purchase? Been trying to write SSM software with insufficient data (can only monitor realtime engine management info).

Could you ask your friend if the Subaru Select Monitor protocols specs is available for free or even purchase? Been trying to write SSM software with insufficient data (can only monitor realtime engine management info).

I know for a fact that they wont give or sell that info, as it is proprietary. It would be the same as calling Microsoft and asking if they would sell the source code for Windows. :(

I support a vehicle diagnostic tool here similar to Select Monitor that is also made by SPX and they guard that kind of stuff like the U.S. Navy does with their nuclear Subs.

Well, I wasn't so sure if it might not be like OBDII. I think in North America, the EPA made it mandatory for all manufacturers to support OBDII so that the vehicle owner would have the capacity to maintain their own car. The protocol would be published. So I was hoping that Subaru might think that way, publishing the protocol spec so that potential carbuyers would see that they have the power to maintain their own cars.

Archived