LegacyGT.com

TuneUp/Engine Pull/Stage 2+ - Tips, Help, Input.

Hi there, I have a 2005 LGT, 5MT with 112K. I am the second owner of the car, bought it in 2010 with 77K, the original installed a Cobb V2, aftermarket adjustable BOV, and i think thats it. In the past three months i have installed the Cobb SF intake and box, Cobb V3, and new struts all around. With the performance upgrades the clutch started spinning. I believe it is the original clutch, pretty good distance. It has come time to replace the clutch. After doing a lot of research i have decided to go with the Competition Clutch PERFORMANCE CLUTCH KIT - SCC Stage 2 ( [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Competition-Clutch-PERFORMANCE-CLUTCH-KIT/dp/B007ZFWDAS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433817893&sr=8-2&keywords=competition+clutch+subaru+legacy+gt]Amazon.com: Competition Clutch PERFORMANCE CLUTCH KIT - SCC Stage 2 - Steelback Brass Plus 15026-2100: Automotive[/ame] ) After more research i have decided to pull the engine to replace the clutch.

I am a service member and have access to a full garage and a range of retired techs for guidence (kinda spoiled i know). Since i am pulling the engine i am looking to do a complete tune up / Stage 2+ build. I am asking for all of your experience and input on what I should get and do while i have the engine pulled. I am looking to start on a afternoon, work saturday and sunday and be done. I will likely have 1-2 friends with me that have some experience with cars.

Here is what i am looking at:

Competition clutch and lightweight flywheel stage 2

Gates Timing belt w/ Water Pump. http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=355&Product_Code=GATE-TCKWP328&Category_Code=6200

Bosh Spark Plugs (still up in the air about NGK or Bosch) [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-FGR8DQI-Platinum-Fusion-Spark/dp/B000PL2AZC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1433819325&vehicle=2005-13-64-39---6-6-7454-1737-1-1---1-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2005%3Asubaru%3Alegacy&keywords=bosch+spark+plugs&pebp=1433819352889&perid=0F343JC0612T1MEJ8FRR]Amazon.com: Bosch (4501) FGR8DQI Platinum IR Fusion Spark Plug, (Pack of 1): Automotive[/ame]

Plug Wires ( i would rather do it while the engine is pulled) [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-09005-Premium-Spark-Plug/dp/B000BYB3JC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1433819446&vehicle=2005-13-64-39---6-6-7454-1737-1-1---1-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2005%3Asubaru%3Alegacy&pebp=1433819449090&perid=1P3X8AYV1BDH843R51AT]Amazon.com: Bosch 09005 Premium Spark Plug Wire Set: Automotive[/ame]

Cleaning out the engine, bay, throttle body, etc.....

Oil Change

Tranny and rear diff fluid chage using Motul 75w90

Radiator flush

New Valve cover gaskets

New Serpentine Belt

Fuel Filter?

Oil Cooler?

Power Steering Flush?

Brake Fluid Flush?

04-07 STI OEM Up Pipe swap.

If anyone has any cheap performance parts PM me. I already bought the clutch kit and am looking to spend about 700 more on everything else. My final goal is to have everything ready on the engine for daily driving, track 6 times a year if that, and ready for exhaust to complete Stage 2 build.

Thanks for your help guys, looking to do this July 10-12. Could always use some help???

Only use NGK plugs.

Hope your getting a SMFW, you'll need 8 SMFW mounting bolts.

remove the banjo filters from the back of the passenger side head and front of drivers side if you go that far.

Clean all engine and chassis grounds.

oil cooler should be fine, just check the rubber hoses and the cross over tube for rust.

Remove the gas lines from the left shock tower, don't waste your time with those QD's.

Read my click here link lots of ideas there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I seem to remember hearing that the Gates water pump is no good. I've been told to buy a Gates timing belt and all the other trinkets that come with it, yeah but just go get an OEM water pump.

Just my two cents! :D

You know I don't have any idea, I hangout with a lot of Subi guys here in AZ and they all tell me steer clear of a Gates water pump so I listen since they know more than me lol.

There's actually a good amount of Subaru shops here so I try and get my advice from them. That being said, the high today is 109 and we aren't even in full swing yet so that may have something to do with it! O.O

Yeah, i am on the atlantic coast in NC or up in MI. Not nearly as hot. Hopefully it works out. If you have anyone specific let me know. I just heard a couple people talk about it and since i am pulling the engine for the clutch i thought i should do as much as i can while it is pulled.

I've never seen a water pump fail on a late model EJ25. I have replaced three Gates pumps for noisy bearings.

I have 165,000 on mine. Just had the motor out for another set of HG's and it was fine.

FWIW, leave the screens in the banjo's. They are there for a reason and if you maintain the car properly it might just save your turbo or OCV valves if your bottom end ever comes apart.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend using a pump with a cast impeller instead of a stamped one. Here's a link to the one I just installed during my engine pull.

Cardone 57-1364 [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C46RMY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00]Amazon.com: Cardone 57-1364 Remanufactured Import Water Pump: Automotive[/ame]

I would recommend using a pump with a cast impeller instead of a stamped one. Here's a link to the one I just installed during my engine pull.

Cardone 57-1364 Amazon.com: Cardone 57-1364 Remanufactured Import Water Pump: Automotive

That's what I have but new from Subaru. Closed Impeller pump.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/F6129393-5E4A-4F2A-93D2-8839794D0F53_zpsnqfhicxo.jpg~original

Archived