LegacyGT.com

Brake pad advice needed

Hi

I have 2007 legacy non turbo and am in need of new front brakes. I saw advance auto carries their wear ever brand and have silver, gold and platinum series. The biggest difference seems to be ceramic vs. semi metallic. Was wondering what is best. I know ceramic make less brake dust and have good stopping power, but I thought they were hard on rotors. What do you guys like to use?

Thanks,

I have EBC GD slotted and dimpled rotors paired up with Hawk HPS pads. It's a pretty good setup and I haven't had any issues. Granted these are more aggressive than the stock pads, but when I had the OEM rear rotors they held up perfectly fine with the HPS pads.

I use semi-metallic Stoptechs with stock rotors and wash my wheels...often. The noise isn't that bad. As far as Ceramics on the stock rotors it's up to you. Depends on the driving style and where you live. Ceramics take a bit to warm up. Honestly as long as you bed the pads properly you'll have plenty of stopping power with the stock rotors and semi-metallic.

I use Porter field r4s in just about everything I own. They're cheap and at the bottom end of what I would consider a good autos pad. Excellent for the street.

I only use cheapos rotors and have never had an issue - even with autox and rallyx. Pronto or centric are fine.

I'm not affiliated with Amazon.com but they always have the most affordable prices for pads and rotors.

For pads: http://legacygt.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=360&sort=2&cat=23&page=1

For rotors: Centric blanks/premiums.

Please make sure you check for rotor run-out and make sure that the hub and mating surfaces are free of debris / dust upon installation. Also, follow the recommended bed in procedure for whatever brake pads you end up buying and properly torque all the bolts and lugs to spec.

Here's a reference thread for your convenience: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/brake-pad-replacement-walkthroughi-133449.html

^^^^ This! Try to get parts of Amazon whenever you can cause the prices are usually the best and who's gonna argue with free shipping? Enter in the part number, double check it's what you need, and order.

I got a set of rear EBC 3GD rotors for my LGT at $62 bucks when they're usually $180. I got the sale at the right time.

I would say that the wearever platinums are just ok. They're a ceramic pad, so you don't see a lot of brake dust on your wheels, and they're very quiet. What I don't like is that their performance is not very good in the winter time when they're cold. If you live somewhere that is warm all year I think they'd be fine, but they're not the greatest in the winter time when they're cold.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put Brake Performance slotted rotors and Premium Ceramic pads on my wagon last night, did the fronts two weeks ago.

$321.00 for 4 rotors and both sets of pads. Free shipping.

Had to grind a little metal off one of the inner rear pads, but that's nothing I haven't had to do before with Hawk pads.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Stock Subaru pads here, not cheap at NZ$120 a set for either fronts or rears but they are low dust and work well. I am running some sort of aftermarket slotted front and rear rotors however so I guess that helps.

Always run stock pads these days, have tried custom made race pads in the past but its a waste of time for the road.

Archived