LegacyGT.com

H6 swap - EZ30D in a Baja!

Hey all.

I've had a 03 Baja sport 5 speed daily driver for about 5 years now.

I flip old Scoobys for fun and profit. But my recent purchase has my gears turning!

It's an 03 LLBean with 214k on it. $1700 worth!

I could probably flip this car for 3-4k.

It's really not a bad car as a whole, but I think I want this engine!

Somebody talk me into this and tell me that the wiring isn't too hard to tame.

BTW I'm keeping the manual transmission.

I'm a bodyman by trade, and cut cars in half and weld them back together on a daily basis.... so I'm used to huge jobs.

But the whirly twirly bits, and keeping the smoke inside the wires isn't my profession.

I'm wary if the wiring, and wondering if swapping the entire dash wiring, radio, hvac, and all is necessary?

Maybe doing all this is more work but less work because it will avoid a wiring nightmare.

Anyone have any insight for me?

I would think with both cars side by side, you could swap over the wire harness from the H6 and any other parts needed.

If you have a plan, you should be fine. Think it through, make a list.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It has been done before. All the ones I've seen swap everything, dashboard, cluster, everything.

I don't have the threads handy, but there's minor things that don't work. Some niggly issues with lights/etc.

I would think things like ECU and engine harness will have to be swapped. Probably BIU, not sure if dash swap is required. Exhaust manifolds are different locations so part or complete exhaust would have to come over from the donor car as well.

Having the donor car that is the same body style as your Baja should make this project if you go for it the easiest it can be.

Good luck and keep us updated if you follow through.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

It's relatively straightforward if you're swapping the trans too. If you want to keep the 5 speed that's a completely different ball o' wax.

I've read of a few EZ30D swaps with MT's behind them, all of them so far have retained the TCU and just given it a bunch of resistors to simulate solenoids and keep it fooled into thinking it has a job to do. Even then it's still tough to get cruise and ABS functional.

There's an H6 MT swap detailed on the Baja forums (that nobody goes to anymore) and also one on rs25.com. I can link to them if you want.

As promised:

http://www.scoobytruck.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2249&p=12616&hilit=ez30#p12616

this one in an impreza goes into more detail on what he did to battle the TCU/cruise/ABS issues. . awesome dude who ain't skeered o' nuthin. Need headers? no problem I'll just buy a cheap tig welder and learn to use it on the fly. .

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t155496-dynes-1999-2-5rs-h6-ez30d-swap.html

regarding the BIU: your truck has one but it has no immobilizer functions. All it does is run stuff like door locks, dome light, seat belt chime, etc. .It's kind of an amalgamation of about 4 separate boxes used on older models, so if you're swapping the complete dash harness from an Outback you won't need to worry about it. Only thing I can think of that your car has the OB does not is a bed lamp. Should be easy enough to wire that up.

The HVAC boxes should be the same but the H6 will have actuators for temp and mode control whereas your baja has cables for those. It'll also have an evap temp sensor. . .you can piecemeal that in but it's too easy to just rip out your HVAC stuff and swap it with the H6 auto HVAC stuff. . you have to pull all of it to get the harness off anyway.

I've done a 4 to 6 cyl swap in an OB and it wasn't too bad. Took me about 40 hours but I could do it in about 20 or less these days. Pull the dash and both fenders and you can get at all the wire harnesses. It's pretty obvious where most stuff goes so you shouldn't have any smoke getting out so long as you don't go mandingo on it and just start shoving stuff where it don't belong and trying to make it fit.

Archived