LegacyGT.com

Replacing my Head Unit

So while I love my 08 2.5i and always will:lol: I cant neglect the joy of modern connectivity like that of a recent rental (2014 Camry SE) BT connectivity mostly and better I/O options. I had a BT dongle to AUX thingy in my LGT it was meh since the mechanical side is buttoned up on my 2.5i I figured I would move inside and upgrade the H/U. Also the radio cuts out sometimes on long drives but not off all I/O (CD, AUX, FM/AM or SAT) its like its off but the display still works (dims, shows FM station etc) but is silent. With 168K miles on the clock im not too worried its served its purpose on all those ski trips.

Went with a JVC KW-R910BT double DIN mostly b/c it is the best with Adnroid and iOS ( I have both) and is built solid and has a decent warranty. And ive heard good reviews from my OB folks. Also like the USB options and ability to expand should I want a small amp and sub.

Any way ill post some pictures of the install for those curious or riding around with a dead H/U.

Also last time I repaced a radio was in the 90's maybe early 2000's :eek: I plan to solder the connections and shrink wrap them when replacing the loom.

I have a similar issue with my old Rockford Fosgate (US-made) amp. For some reason when it is hot or the car has been sitting for a while, it will not turn on. I have had it shut down once during a long drive as well. If I restart the car it will work just fine. I have a JBL CleanSweep in between the factory HU and the amp.

In retrospect, I should have just wired the Polk db6501's into the factory sound system and called it a day.

Solder and shrink wrap? As opposed to buying an adapter harness?

http://blog.omegasharp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/prepare-0a-sold-adapter-wires.jpg

Solder the and the H/U harness together to make a PnP connection to the factory loom and aftermarket Head unit.

Archived