LegacyGT.com

Vertical play in wheel

o2fst4uo

Did a search, couldn't find my exact symptoms.

Hi all, my 2006 legacy has just started making a worryingly loud bang or grind when I take off and go over bumps. The steering feels absolutely fine but I jacked the front left corner up and it has a LOT of vertical play. I can't see any snapped arms or bolts and when I move give it a tug with the wheel off, the actual strut wiggles in and out.

I don't think it's a CV because I can't get much play in it at all.

Could it be the wheel bearing or the strut itself? If it were the bearing wouldn't I hear it constantly or have a shudder?

https://youtu.be/ldZjQ1TVpPY

The strut wiggles up and down or in and out? Up and down would signify an issue with mounting bolts to the strut tower. Open the hood. There are three bolts holding the strut to the tower. Tighten them... There is another bolt that holts the top hat and spring to the strut. It is in the center. That one should also be tight.

If the strut is moving towards you and then away, it is lose on the knuckle. Tighten the two bolts and then go get an alignment

In and out. And no, its completely connected to the knuckle. Added a video.

The video makes it more apparent that the movement is in the shock or something. I only figured this out later. I jacked up the other side and there is zero play like this

OK, its definitely an issue around the top hat. Go under the hood to that strut tower and check all 4 nuts. One in the center holds the strut/spring to the top hat. I'm guessing this nut is gone.

Your top hat could also have separated but that's unlikely.

Ah, figured it out, never realised the middle bolt is covered by a little pop off cover.

The centre stud (I think it's a stud and hopefully not a bolt) is completely sheared off. Is that stud replaceable or do I need a new shock?

Archived