LegacyGT.com

Spongy Clutch... Master or slave?

linuxbatm

I have a clutch that seems to wander on its engagement point. Just curious if anyone has any clue where to start? I dont see any obvious leaks at either the master or the slave. Should I just replace both?

When I bought my 05, the hacks at the dealership diagnosed it as a bad clutch, and wanted to charge me an absolute absurd amount to do the clutch. After driving it, I realized that it was biting right on the floor and not slipping. It would wander on engagement a bit from maybe an inch off of the floor to a few inches, so I knew that the clutch was just fine, but I figured i'd play it off and pretend to believe them, because that way I got the car at wholesale price because they misdiagnosed it. I ended up replacing the slave cylinder first, because I figured i'd go with the easier and cheaper of the two first, and it ended up working. FYI, my slave wasn't leaking either.:D 25k miles later and the clutch is still holding fine.

But yeah, sorry for the story. Try bleeding your system to see if there are any air bubbles, because that could very well cause the drifting engagement point. If not that, replace your slave cylinder, since it's the cheaper and easier of the two.

Edit: You might want to try just changing your clutch fluid first before doing anything. Brake fluid has a service life, whether it's your clutch or brakes.

When I bought my 05, the hacks at the dealership diagnosed it as a bad clutch, and wanted to charge me an absolute absurd amount to do the clutch. After driving it, I realized that it was biting right on the floor and not slipping. It would wander on engagement a bit from maybe an inch off of the floor to a few inches, so I knew that the clutch was just fine, but I figured i'd play it off and pretend to believe them, because that way I got the car at wholesale price because they misdiagnosed it. I ended up replacing the slave cylinder first, because I figured i'd go with the easier and cheaper of the two first, and it ended up working. FYI, my slave wasn't leaking either.:D 25k miles later and the clutch is still holding fine.

But yeah, sorry for the story. Try bleeding your system to see if there are any air bubbles, because that could very well cause the drifting engagement point. If not that, replace your slave cylinder, since it's the cheaper and easier of the two.

Edit: You might want to try just changing your clutch fluid first before doing anything. Brake fluid has a service life, whether it's your clutch or brakes.

Did already change the clutch and brake fluid and couldn't get the clutch to feel right no matter how much I bled it. I think that's probably smart to try the slave first. I will order one to replace it. Did you go with OEM?

Archived