LegacyGT.com

Need Advice on New Clutch Kit

I have a 2005 LGT and recently the clutch has been starting to slip. Trying to weigh out options for aftermarket or stock clutches. Not planning on doing any crazy mods. So far just have the Invidia catless uppipe and planning on doing an intake and exhaust. So far I've found the oem clutches from Fred Beans for 300$ US some exedy clutches on ebay for little more but I just came across a few on Rock auto that don't have very solid reviews on. The one brand is LUK and the other is SACHS. These are a much cheaper option so it would be nice to know if anyones had any experience with one or both.

Anyone out there ever install one of these?

Doesn't sound like you're heavily modded, so a stock clutch would work just fine. If the car hasn't been converted to a single mass flywheel yet, then I total recommend it. There are several options there. You can find a fairly new used one on Car-Parts.com for less than $100.

I bought a used 2014 WRX full clutch assemble (15k mile) for $150 off Car-Parts.com.

My wife's balls are delicious.

No experience with any clutches in my lgt yet, mine is actually slipping as well and will need to be replaced in the near future. Im looking at south bend as they seem to have really good reviews but are more pricey than the exedy and oem. But if I were you I would put the money you are gonna spend on an intake and either put it towards a better clutch or get a downpipe and tune, as you are gonna need a tune if you put an intake on there anyway. The downpipe will net you Much better gains than the intake will, for a few more dollars if you go catless. Do some searching here as there are a ton of clutch reviews. Good luck!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Doesn't sound like you're heavily modded, so a stock clutch would work just fine. If the car hasn't been converted to a single mass flywheel yet, then I total recommend it. There are several options there. You can find a fairly new used one on Car-Parts.com for less than $100.

I bought a used 2014 WRX full clutch assemble (15k mile) for $150 off Car-Parts.com.

Thanks for the replies! What kind of benefits are there using a single mass over dual?

I found shifting to be more smoother and precise without the lag that the duel flywheel persist.

Okay. How did you go about buying the whole clutch assembly, I notice all the parts are listed separately. Did you have to contact the used parts dealer? Also, do you have any idea what flywheels are compatible?

Some websites list the whole package. Or you could pm some vendors here. You'll want more than a stock replacement if you plan for anything more that what's already in your car. I have an exedy stock replacement, and I can still smell clutch just from hard acceleration. Completely stock car.

Okay. How did you go about buying the whole clutch assembly, I notice all the parts are listed separately. Did you have to contact the used parts dealer? Also, do you have any idea what flywheels are compatible?

Here is an example of the stock replacement kit that I went with.

http://www.carid.com/exedy/oem-replacement-clutch-kit-mpn-fjk1001fw.html#product-details-tab

IMO it's a good stock replacement, zero issues as it's holding up to my

stage 2+ setup ( close to 260whp and 290wtq), granted I only have 5k on it since my rebuild. So far so good! :)

With the mods that you currently have in mind, this would be a good option if you chose to go with a stock replacement.

hope this helps

Some websites list the whole package. Or you could pm some vendors here. You'll want more than a stock replacement if you plan for anything more that what's already in your car. I have an exedy stock replacement, and I can still smell clutch just from hard acceleration. Completely stock car.

Judging from whats been said, Im leaning towards going with a full kit better than oem. Possibly the one you mentioned Jaybird2013. Thanks for the informative replies!:)

I went with the stock replacement by Exedy. Apparently they are the OE supplier? At least that's what I heard. Anyways, I originally installed a Clutchmasters FX350 and hated it!! Chatter, judder, shudder, whatever you want to call it, it was a pos. And it was toast before 15K. Now I have about 15K on the Exedy FJK1001 and the OEM single mass flywheel and it has been great since day 1. Light pedal effort, smooth engagement, and has not hesitated once at vf52 stage 2 power levels.

Just be warned that if you decide to go with an aftermarket clutch, it may not have good manners and might not last as long.

PM someone like "underdog" He just got me my SMFW and Spec 2+ clutch for my wagon.

A Spec 2 clutch would be fine for your set up and plans, Oh, BTW don't put an intake on the car until your over 350whp or more. The stock intake is hard to beat.

Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com is another trusted member here. You can get any part you want from them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I went with the stock replacement by Exedy. Apparently they are the OE supplier? At least that's what I heard. Anyways, I originally installed a Clutchmasters FX350 and hated it!! Chatter, judder, shudder, whatever you want to call it, it was a pos. And it was toast before 15K. Now I have about 15K on the Exedy FJK1001 and the OEM single mass flywheel and it has been great since day 1. Light pedal effort, smooth engagement, and has not hesitated once at vf52 stage 2 power levels.

Just be warned that if you decide to go with an aftermarket clutch, it may not have good manners and might not last as long.

Thats not a bad price for a clutch kit.

When you say the oem single mass flywheel are you referring to an 06+ wrx flywheel. Arent our flywheels oem dual mass? I like the idea of switching over to a single mass. Where did you get this single mass flywheel?

PM someone like "underdog" He just got me my SMFW and Spec 2+ clutch for my wagon.

A Spec 2 clutch would be fine for your set up and plans, Oh, BTW don't put an intake on the car until your over 350whp or more. The stock intake is hard to beat.

Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com is another trusted member here. You can get any part you want from them.

Thanks for the info!

The single mass is original equipment on the WRX.

I was advocating against the exedy stock replacement. Though if others are having success at higher power levels, can't argue with that. 75 to 85 in 5th gear gets my exedy pretty odiferous.

Thats not a bad price for a clutch kit.

When you say the oem single mass flywheel are you referring to an 06+ wrx flywheel. Arent our flywheels oem dual mass? I like the idea of switching over to a single mass. Where did you get this single mass flywheel?

Yes. '06+ WRX flywheel. I think '07+ Lgt came with the single mass as well. I got mine and new bolts from Infamous. Underdog, AZP, Infamous, etc are all great vendors that could set you up with everything you need. Wether or not you go with the FJK1001, you should upgrade to the single mass. It will give you way more options for clutch choices, among other benefits.

Yes. '06+ WRX flywheel. I think '07+ Lgt came with the single mass as well. I got mine and new bolts from Infamous. Underdog, AZP, Infamous, etc are all great vendors that could set you up with everything you need. Wether or not you go with the FJK1001, you should upgrade to the single mass. It will give you way more options for clutch choices, among other benefits.

Any idea what the approximate price is for the oem 06+ wrx flywheel from a vendor here?

Contact them for current pricing.

Plan around $300

You'll nee FW bolts for the SMFW too. There is also a Torx t50+ needed to remove the old bolts.

If you plan to do power up grades, go with a stronger clutch than a stock replacement. My Spec 2 clutch was great for the time it was in. It just couldn't hold the power much past 50,000 miles. But it work flawlessly and had a pedal feel like my stock Spec B.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Has anyone used an ACT clutch? I am in a similar situation, i have a 2005 LGT, 112K, with Cobb intake and stage 1 tune. It started slipping after that. Now on the economy tune it does just fine.

I plan to go Stage 2+. I would like something that can handle that. Looking to a new clutch and flywheel.

Is there anyone out there who has done the transmission by dropping it and leaving the drive shafts in? I know it was discussed over on scruit's clutch replacement guide but there was never a clear answer. Just trying to see if it is in fact do-able while leaving them in?

Has anyone used an ACT clutch? I am in a similar situation, i have a 2005 LGT, 112K, with Cobb intake and stage 1 tune. It started slipping after that. Now on the economy tune it does just fine.

I plan to go Stage 2+. I would like something that can handle that. Looking to a new clutch and flywheel.

The reviews seem to be very mixed over at Rally Sport Direct...

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/ACT-Heavy-Duty-Performance-Street-Disc-Clutch-Kit-Subaru-Models-inc-2006-2011-WRX-2005-2009-Legacy-GT

Is there anyone out there who has done the transmission by dropping it and leaving the drive shafts in? I know it was discussed over on scruit's clutch replacement guide but there was never a clear answer. Just trying to see if it is in fact do-able while leaving them in?

I've done mine twice within a year.:mad: Not on a lift. First time, I pulled the axles and completely removed the trans so I could install the tsk kit. Second time, I left the axles in and slid the trans back just enough to remove the clutch/flywheel. It can be done by leaving the axles attached, but the extra bit of work it takes to remove them makes things much easier. Especially if you are installing the tsk. There really isn't much room if you leave them attached.

If you do pull the axles, I suggest getting new axle seals. There's a chance you might nick one getting the axles out and you're already in there.

Is your clutch original? 112K is a lot of miles for these clutches and even at stock power levels it will be slipping soon.

If you get new axle seals, remember there is a left and right seal. The internal scraper ring has raised notches on them that direct the fluid back into the tranny.

Is your clutch original? 112K is a lot of miles for these clutches and even at stock power levels it will be slipping soon.

I believe it is the original clutch. I bought the car 40K ago. It is slipping now at the stock tune and any higher power. running on Cobb OTS economy tune to reduce slipping and save on gas.

Archived