LegacyGT.com

Starting noise changed to something bad...

102,600 miles. Laid up all winter because of steering rack issue. Preparing for work to be done, changed oil, (always Castrol synth, 3k) last week started "fine", had been getting a little tick tick tick that would disappear. Today, a lot warmer, ticking started right away as it had been, then 2-3 seconds in clack clack clack (loud). Car has never been abused. Engine seems to idle steady. Guy is coming today to bring to his shop for rack swapout, don't know if I can drop this on him too... is it just a valve issue?

Tick...tick...tick is the sound of the fuel injectors, very common. Need more info on the clack...clack...clack.

If it sounds more like a diesel engine, then it could be piston slap. If the motor starts to idle rough with the same sound, then it could be a bent rod or spun bearing.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Guy just came and took it away... listened a bit and said it sounded like timing belt idler/tensioner. Will know tomorrow.

That could very well be. I had that issue happen to me before. The tensioner completely failed too. Although it is very easy to diagnose as the failed tensioner is is making the 'clack clack' sound by hitting the timing belt cover.

102,000 miles 10 years old, replace the timing belt and tensioners and water pump.

Also check the coolant crossover tube to the oil cooler for rust.

Any name brand belt and kit will be fine, I also like OEM water pump, my Gates only lasted 20,000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm at 150k miles and haven't replaced any of the timing pulleys. I know it's past due to replace, but depending on where you live, you could go much further. I live in CA, so it stays pretty much dry throughout the year. If you go through freezing temps during the winter months, then you may want to look into replacing some of those timing pulleys.
My wife's balls are delicious.

102,000 miles 10 years old, replace the timing belt and tensioners and water pump.

Also check the coolant crossover tube to the oil cooler for rust.

Any name brand belt and kit will be fine, I also like OEM water pump, my Gates only lasted 20,000 miles.

Yup, had the Gates kit and OEM pump ready to go. Will mention the coolant tube check. (been lurking for 10 years..preparing myself for self-destruct day!)

If, when you rev the engine, the clack clack sound changes as the RPMs drop - it could also be the dual mass flywheel (if still equipped). Something easy to check!

Mine failed that way - I had thought it was rod knock too! One of the springs broke on the flywheel so it was sliding back and forth regularly between each of the engine pulses - creating a louder version of the ticking sound i normally hear.

Archived