LegacyGT.com

WWLGTD - knock edition (09 spec.B)

So, potentially(?) the moment all Subaru owners dread has come for me. I had my 60k done by APM, and all was well - except they did an intake pressure test and found the inlet hose leaking. I have an extended warranty on the car, so I took it to Subaru to have them fix/replace the inlet hose.

Upon taking it there, they decide that the engine is knocking on the passenger side, and proceed to do all kinds of investigation, including contacting SoA for help. Now, the car is has an AVO v2 Intercooler, Invidia V3 DP, SPTv2 Catback, and an AccessPort tune. They decide they will blanket deny the warranty because of the AccessPort. Not terribly shocking, but the inlet hose issue could just as easily be the cause. Whatever, that is a whole different discussion.

I have a dedicated race car as well, and the need for a tow-capable vehicle is coming real there. Wife's sticking with a Mini, so that's not gonna do it. That would put me with the spec.B, tow vehicle, race car, and wife's car. Not gonna work out. So I was heading towards selling/trading the spec.B on a tow vehicle in the next couple of years either way.

So now the debate. I assume that Subaru will not cover my SB repair - it'd be surprising if they do. Assuming that they do not, I will have a spec.B that is driving but apparently a block that is on its way to its demise.

Should I:

A) Trade it in as is to a dealer on a tow-rig, and let them deal with it

B) Replace the SB with just a bone stock EJ255, return it to stock, and either trade in or private party it

C) Is it likely anyone out there wants to buy it with the bad block in order to build an SB to their taste rather than mine?

D) Comedy option?

I'm the second owner on this guy. It's an 09 spec.B in OBP with 57k on the clock. 60k service was just done, compression was good, and everything was well checked. Trans fluids have been done every 15k since I owned it (twice). Oil has always been syn (amsoil or castrol) at <3250 mi.

So, WWLGTdotCOM do?

See what you can get for a trade in. If it's anything over 10K I'd just go that route, otherwise you're pretty much just donating your time on any of the other options. It would also be worth your time to put the stock parts back on and sell the mods here in the classifieds.

Yeah, if I traded it in, it would be return to stock. I don't really know the ethics/legalities around trading in a car with known issues to a dealer though.

I know an OBP 09 spec.B is a rarity, but it's a rarity to a very small crowd of people who would care, so figured I'd at least get some input.

They contacted SOA, and SOA apparently sent inspectors & "master techs" who have been inspecting/documenting it for 5 days now, without providing me any update. They authorized a rental (nice), but with how long it's taking to "determine" and "inspect" I'm not hopeful for my outcome with them.

Last I spoke with them, they had not even looked at the leaking inlet that I actually took it in for yet. I've called them 3 times today without getting any new information, so yeah, I don't actually even know.

Regardless of the outcome, it will leave the dealer and go straight to APM who I trust for a second opinion. If I do need to replace a block, it'll be them and not the dealer. Just waiting to hear what's going on.

Well, sounds like the consensus is to just trade it in. Going to talk to APM here and see what a new SB will cost. Subaru finally blanket denied my warranty after 7 days of inspections/determination, saying they're 100% sure that the ecu modifications caused the failure (and somehow not the leaking turbo inlet causing unmetered air to enter).

I'm guessing people don't like picking up project cars like this, which isn't too shocking.

That is of course the question. I think I'm going to get a trade-in idea from a dealer, plus a quote on a new EJ255 SB from APM, and then maybe throw a FS up at that price and see if anyone wants to bite.

Seems to be illegal to trade it in without disclosing the issue, so don't want to get into weird areas there. Worst case is I guess I do the SB replacement and then list it after or trade it in then.

Well, KBB dealer trade-in value is ~17.3k - so I don't think they're being too nuts. If they can get the cost of the replacement down to 3500, they can probably list it at 18.5 and still do decently.

I would have taken it, but the car they had wasn't what I wanted. It's posted up here, and I've also worked out to get the SB replacement done.

Archived